The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Diesel pro's, Please help an 'ole soldier out. (but one that is new to this here diesel business).

I have 2779.2 miles on the rig right now. Almost all highway driving.
Dealer says 5000 on the change. Others say different.
What do you guys say? I know thoughts vary. :bow: I will go with what you say:bow:
I just want to do the right thing here since it's the last truck I will ever buy.
Thanks in advance
~Mike~:usflag

·
Registered
635 Posts
I feel you should change your oil at 3,000mi during break in. Why wait to 5,000:shrug: It only takes 10 minutes to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'd go ahead an change it the first time at 3,000. That motor oil is the same that's been in there since it was first started. After that probably good to go at 5,000. JMHO. That's what I do with my 6 point slow...so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i did my first change at 6000 and plan to do every 5-6k after that. Plan to change it at 5k but i never get around to it until about 6k so thats my plan.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
I changed mine at 2500 miles oil and filter and plan to change oil and filter every 5000miles and fuel filters at 10,000 miles. If you have any doubts on what oil to run the ford motorcraft oil is fine and the filter no cons on staying with it. I run Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic and Amsoil EA088 filter might change to the pureoil metal reusable filter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We run Amsiol in all of our trucks from a 97 7.3, 7-(6.0) and my new 6.4
we sample the oil @ 20K and Amsoil says to keep running the oil .
Most of the time we change @ 30,000 miles.
If you check into the web site the oil is worht it.
we have approx.1,200,000 miles on these units with no oil related problems.
I run amsoil in both my bikes and 2 boats along with all engines around the house.
we do mostly highway miles pulling a 300 series bobcat or a small roller with these units. 2 of these units have service beds with welders & compressors on them also.
synthetic oil is the way to go.

jim:

smoke

·
TDG Mafia Member #82
1,092 Posts
Id go ahead and change it at 3k for break in purposes although the engines are tested at the factory its hard to say what has went on under normal highway driving conditions i know with all the bikes and atv's i have owned i have always found metal shavings on the first oil change thats why its referd to as break in oil id change it now then do what you feel comfortable with after the first one!!! I change mine every 3-3500 on my 6.0

·
324 Posts
amsoil is a great product, but keep in mind that once you switch to it you don't really want to switch back, I have nearly 327,000 miles on an all original 2000 7.3 and run dual filters with the 5w-40 amsoil synthetic and results are great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drained the oil and put AMSOIL in @ 1000 miles. I will go by what the oil samples say going forward.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyway, back to topic. Don't worry about "break-in". Just change your oil every 5,000 miles and you'll be fine.

·
2,951 Posts
seapig said:
OK Diesel pro's, Please help an 'ole soldier out. (but one that is new to this here diesel business).

I have 2779.2 miles on the rig right now. Almost all highway driving.
Dealer says 5000 on the change. Others say different.
What do you guys say? I know thoughts vary. :bow: I will go with what you say:bow:
I just want to do the right thing here since it's the last truck I will ever buy.
Thanks in advance
3k to 5k :Thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You cannot hurt anything but your pocketbook by changine the oil before the OE suggested interval is up.

The 6.4L uses a "Diesel Common Rail" fuel system, unlike all previous Ford's that were HEUI, so oil viscosity, quality and change intervals do not have a detrimental impact on injector function as they do on the 7.3L and 6.0L PSDs. Basically, the 6.4L PSD is far less "fussy" about what type of oil and the change frequency.

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you

Thank you all for the imput. It is appreciated.

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
NOT TO HIJACK... but everyone might want to know this...

OneBadF150... what is the part number for the FS2500 system for these trucks?? and also the part # for the peice that screws in where the filter is to redirect the oil through the Fs2500 system... Thanks!

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
2008TTCC said:
NOT TO HIJACK... but everyone might want to know this...

OneBadF150... what is the part number for the FS2500 system for these trucks?? and also the part # for the peice that screws in where the filter is to redirect the oil through the Fs2500 system... Thanks!
I just got off the phone with filtration solutions and they said that there is no specific part # since they are all custom kit based on each engine but for those interested in purchasing a kit from filtration solution here's the information.

FS2500 for a 2008 6.4L diesel which comes complete with aluminum oil filter hat, full stainless steel lines, filter canister and filter for $538.50 special pricing $100 off the normal pricing which ends sometime in the beginning of next month.

:Thumbup:

Nick

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just pulled my drain plug on my truck in the shop. It had a small oil leak from the drain bolt area. The washer was shot, make sure you replace the washer after every oil change.

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good call rainman, I will make sure I do just that.
:bow: Thank you onebadf150 (Nick)for the information.:bow:

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Here's some pics of the FS2500 installed on my 6.0L regular cab. the unit is mounted underneath the drivers door around where the parking brake mount is. This kit came with rubber lines but all 6.4L kits come with stainless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts