The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help...my son recently bought a 2002 F-250 2wd 7.3...no heat..truck wont warm up....live in Missouri...0 temps outside....thinking it is the thermostat....how tough is it to change yourself...garage wants $140 to do it and can buy thermostat for 12.
Please help with some direction...I know nothing about diesels...if it was gas engine I could help him.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
The process is the same as on a gasser. Just be very careful with the houseing. They are flimsy at best from the factory. If you need a new one, get a hold of Bob Riley. He sells an aluminum housing and a 203 degree thermostat.

Good luck!

Oh yea, WELCOME to the Garage!

·
6,337 Posts
I would drop a line to bob at dieselsite, get the 203 tstat and housing. As above the stock housings should be labeled "one use only".

www.dieselsite.com

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The single most important thing about replacing a Ford thermostat is to use an OE stat ONLY. Many aftermarket stats have too much leakage when closed, so the engine will never heat up properly, AND they will not open fully causing a very real risk of overheating during the summer.

Also, be aware that you *may* have to pinch off the heater SUPPLY hose (carefully so as not to damage it) briefly to get the coolant to circulate properly after the engine has been drained.

·
6,337 Posts
John_G said:
The single most important thing about replacing a Ford thermostat is to use an OE stat ONLY. Many aftermarket stats have too much leakage when closed, so the engine will never heat up properly, AND they will not open fully causing a very real risk of overheating during the summer.

Also, be aware that you *may* have to pinch off the heater SUPPLY hose (carefully so as not to damage it) briefly to get the coolant to circulate properly after the engine has been drained.

There is nothing wrong with Bobs T-stat... Not sure where you are going with your comment...

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I have never used a non-OE stat, but I KNOW that most aftermarket thermostats are JUNK. I have been to the factory, spoken with the plant manager, and seen how the aftermarket cuts costs by cutting every quality check they can.

Now, I have absolutely ZERO information about what "Bob" is selling, or how his thermostats differ from the OE stats. I am also not making ANY comments about HIS products, since I have never seen or used them.

My only comment is LOTS of "off-the-shelf" stats are junk, so buyer beware.

·
748 Posts
I installed Bobs 203* thermostat a few months ago. No problems. I also replaced the thermo housing with and OEM one. I'm glad I bought it because I wouldn't have wanted to put the original back in. It was very corroded and I don't think it would have sealed correctly.
Drain the radiator to below the level of the thermo and just fill it back up. I would refill it with new coolant.
It took me about an hour total.

·
748 Posts
John_G said:

I must also agree mostly with John G In the past I have found some extremely bad aftermarket thermos for different cars and trucks but, I think this one from Bob's is a good one. So if you don't buy Bob's, buy the Ford one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts