The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been drooling over the new fords because i miss the interior of my 02 lariat 7.3...i drove a 08 6.4 F350 DRW 4x4 lariat yesterday and of course loved it..other then the fact that at 70 it was turning 2300RPMs...which Im assuming is because it had 4.10 rears. (couldnt confirm what the gears where though, but the salesman told me that with a dually you can only get 4.10s..i doubt this is true, but IDK)

what are yalls thoughts about switching over? I love my LBZ, but I miss the room of the ford interior. Ive had no problems with mine and it now has 110k...

Thanks

·
102 Posts
I suggest doing it! I went from an LLY to my 08 CCDRW 6.4 Lariat and LOVE it. The duallies come in at least 4.10s and 4.30s from what I know. If the one you looked at has the Tow Boss package then it has 4.30s.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I think the salesman is right. If it has DRW, it should have at least 4:10's.

·
23 Posts
2300 rpm @ 70 i think would be 4:30 gears. My drw 08 has 4:10 doesn't hit 2300 rpm until about 78mph but I could be wrong because I don't usually drive that speed. Also it was possible to get 373 gears in a drw because my cousin had one but he ordered it that way.

·
186 Posts
These trucks are great for power and comfort, but mediocre for MPG. I average about 14mpg in 75% highway driving with my 4.10 DRW.

Keep in mind that whatever brand you buy, when you move into the emissions controlled models all have new maintenance requirements and quirks you need to be aware of in order to keep them running reliably.

·
3,533 Posts
I vote you go for it with Fords parked the fuel trucks are parked and mechanics will be out of work. As a mechanic that works on Fords I thank you! I have a few customers that had the 6.4's and they bought the new 6.7 and left it at the lower initial rating. With the 6.4 the truck was worth nothing as a trade in to anybody but Ford. The Toyota dealer was selling a truck exactly like his that was $10,000 less than what Ford would give him. He bought the first one and the rest soon followed. None of them ever saw 14 miles per Gallon.
Just a thought!

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
So maybe what Johnp3 is saying is go buy one from a Toyota dealer.

·
3,533 Posts
I have a GMC and we enjoy ribbing each other, we went to the Toyota dealer to buy a light pigtail. When we were going threw the parking lot there was a mirror of his truck for a ridiculously low price. The salesman was willing to let us take it for a day and inspect it so it must have been in decent shape we live 100 miles from that dealer up a mountain.
He went to Ford that day and the deal was done. The steering does not feel secure going down hill loaded, twitchy. And as I said they all left them at the lower power rating and they all like them.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I have both and wouldn't trade 2 6.4's for an LBZ. The LBZ is so much smoother and quieter. Plus the 6.4 has all the exhaust emmissions nonsense.
6.4L has 44K miles and has already lost a Y-pipe (cab off 9 hours labor) a #5 injector and a injector wiring harness. I dislike the diesel engine note on the 6.4. Sounds like a lot of popping.
The DMAX has 77K and hasn't been touched under the hood. 77,000 miles on original brakes, too. :)

Transmission wise, the Ally is so much better, manual shift toggle, 6th gear.....

You're 100% right on cab space. My Ford crewcab is much bigger. The DMAX is like a ****pit. The Ford is more like a cabin.
The ride is no comparison. GMC rides much nicer, but I'm comparing a 3500 to an F-550. :roflol:
But If I had to guess, I'd bet GM rides nicer than Ford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts