The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Now Cummins Powered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have been thinking about possibly plowing with my 6.4, but I am worried that it will ruin the truck. I would like to get your thoughts on plowing and if there is a safe and non damaging approach? I've been told that it just beats the crap out of your truck, but I know I could make some money with the rig. Will the transmission and transfer case hold up if you go in and out of gears gently, without jamming from drive to reverse? I guess it could, but I have never plowed before and would like everyones opinion. I love my truck and don't want to kill it. It was way too expensive to beat on, but I would like to recoup some of my money invested. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
I would have to say that on the posotive side of things if someone was going to put a plow on somthin new the best would be the Ford 6.4. This is because of the larger components in the chassis and the dana 60 axle.
The downside is that some plows are really heavy and if left on for entire seasons can damage the springs causing some undesires squat earlier than designed.
I personally like the western plows and I would reccomend a quick mount plow. This way if you are not going to use it for a while you can have it off in a couple minutes easy.
Also an air bag or air shock kit are not completely nessary but would prolong the life of the springs.
My knowlege of plows in mosttly from observations but if you use some preventive measures you can help the truck.
Oh, not likely with the 60 but there is a posibility with prolonged plowing of wearing out the front u-joints prematurely.

·
Chitowns Biggest Baller
517 Posts
I have had a plow on my truck for 4months no with no complaints, I had one trans blow up but, I also drive my truck, hard.

·
0 Posts
well we got one on our farm truck witch is a 99 crew cab v-10 and i can tell the plow has been hard on it but its because i have plowed out all our farms and binsites and thers the ocasional rock/stump/ w.e else that u hit and that seems a bit ruff but if your on cement and ur the one using it u should be fine. Our v-10 also pulls our fuel barrell for farming witch is a hell of a load for it

·
2,821 Posts
You won't have any issues. I plow with mine and while things may wear a little sooner than without one, u joints, etc. I haven't had any issues. Everyone says that it is rough on a truck, well if I can't "use" it then why do I have it? Best advice with a plow, just use your head. Chris.

Here are a few pictures from last year, one storm between 3 and 4 feet of snow, no issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a 8ft western pro plus plow on my 07 6.0 Crew Cab. I have not have any problems at all, but i typically just take it easy and slow with it. The plow weights 805 lbs and it only squats it one inch or so when i raise it up. I put about 700lbs in the back. As far as plows go western is by far the best. They are strongest and I havnt had any problems with either of mine.

Also I recommend setting the truck back to stock before plowing.

·