The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I dont want to start a war here but im tossing around the Idea of switching brands. I never thought i would do it but lately my truck just hasnt been reliable. Anyway im interested in knowing what i can HONESTLY expect from the dodge. MPG, reliability, anything you can tell me about these new trucks. Also i havent really been to dealers yet but what are they going for , 4x4 crew cab?

·
42 Posts
mattsn said:
Guys, I dont want to start a war here but im tossing around the Idea of switching brands. I never thought i would do it but lately my truck just hasnt been reliable. Anyway im interested in knowing what i can HONESTLY expect from the dodge. MPG, reliability, anything you can tell me about these new trucks. Also i havent really been to dealers yet but what are they going for , 4x4 crew cab?
I bought my 07.5 4x4 Dodge Ram Mega Cab based on recommendations from quite a few people and prior to this I've owned most brands, however this is my first pickup. I'll start off by saying that my sales experience was the worst transaction I have ever had. In my opinion the sales group was willing to tell me anything just to land the sale. In fact, many times the dealership manager was brought in just to answer questions the sales crew had no idea of, and the dealership manager's lack of knowledge was probably the root of the confusion at this dealership. Most of the issues were simple but when trying to make a comparison they all have some weight to consider. (items like duration of warrantees, service intervals etc...)

While I've had a handful of recalls associated with the new emissions equipment the vehicle performs great. I use the truck as my daily commuter and its double duty is a hauler for my boat. Completely rigged out my boat and gear push the scales at close to, or maybe over, 12K. The truck performs flawlessly pulling my boat (averaging 8-11mpg) and so far I haven't found a boat launch I wasn't able to muscle out of, or ease into. Now for a daily commuter the fuel costs are a little higher than the Navigator I was driving before, but the fuel usage is the same averaging about 13-15 mpg city and freeway combined. Comfort and convenience is very good. The space behind the rear seats provides just as much space as what I would typically put to use in the back of my old SUV, plus I have a bed to put anything I wouldn't normally want inside. Fold the seats down and you have as much if not more storage as most SUV's... No other manufacturer offers that.

I've seen reports on pricing and some claims as to who has negotiated the lowest price. For what its worth my experience left me with an even 50K out of my pocket. While that's not on the lower side I did get the peace of mind of a few dealer customized items (6" lift kit, rims/ tires, fender flares, bully bar w/ lights and side steps) all this with a 100K bumper to bumper warranty that includes a rental.

I hope this helps...

Rick

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your in depth report. I am not at all worried about the dodge being able to handle weight. Lets face it , all these trucks Ford, chevy and dodge can pull the weight pretty similarly . My 6.0 often pulls 15k without any problems . just not sure how many visits to the dealer i can put up with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just bought an 08 mega laramie 4x4 last thursday. I previousy owned both PSD and Dmax. So far I am totally satisfied with the dodge. I think the cummins is the best choice in motors in any of the three. I was going to buy an 08 PSD (less $$$$ as far as sticker price), just couldn't get over the fact that the cab has to be raised to work on their motor. Now back to the $$$, the dodge listed at $55,695 and the ford at $50,365, I ended up buying the dodge for about $600.00 more than the ford, dodge came to within $200 of their invoice price. Just my :2cents . I think it is as much personal preferance as anything.

·
Registered
133 Posts
MegaInferno said:
I bought my 07.5 4x4 Dodge Ram Mega Cab based on recommendations from quite a few people and prior to this I've owned most brands, however this is my first pickup. I'll start off by saying that my sales experience was the worst transaction I have ever had. In my opinion the sales group was willing to tell me anything just to land the sale. In fact, many times the dealership manager was brought in just to answer questions the sales crew had no idea of, and the dealership manager's lack of knowledge was probably the root of the confusion at this dealership. Most of the issues were simple but when trying to make a comparison they all have some weight to consider. (items like duration of warrantees, service intervals etc...) ....
Similar experience here on both Dodges I had. Really turned me off about buying the Dodge. But once I got through the sales (or lack thereof) process, I really enjoyed the trucks (especially the Cummins).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I switched from an 01 F350 Lariat crew cab dually without problems to an 07 2500 megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 fully loaded MSRP was $59,800 paid $49,700 and was happy until I guess I must have picked the wrong one in the lot. I've had turbo codes come up twice..turbo replacement is next if the cel light comes back on. I've been stranded out of town twice because of the fuel injector wiring harness. I took it to the dealer again and told them I was not coming back until the problem is fixed. I mailed the Lemon Law paperwork which they probably got yesterday and I'm waiting to hear from them. This is my crapy experience so far. I'm about ready to :mafia someone!

·
116 Posts
I bought a my 07.5 Mega 4x4 back in July. Truck listed for over $53k but after my paid off trade in, rebates, and affiliate discounts, I paid $24k. Nothing but soft codes to report. I take it in to the dealer everytime for maintenance and soft code trouble. I like to keep a paper work trail. No serious issues with 8900 miles on it.
Bottom line is I like some features that Dodge offers better than others. Engine brake and high idle adjust are the bomb. I feel I gave up comfort tho. GM is simply amazing at comfort. Had I not bought my Mega, I'd have a loaded GMC Duramax.
I get about 12-13mpg in town and 17+ on the highway unloaded hand calculated. My dealer says no chips and no DPF delete kits or kiss the warranty goodbye. Other dealers will work with you but get it in writing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I picked up my 07.5 6.7 in mid October. Since then I have put 6400 trouble free miles on it. Not one code. I did however do the G30 recall in November. I love the truck, it runs and pulls great. I don't care about luxury though, so I went for the ST. It is my 3 CTD and I love it. Paid $33k out the door. It does leave something to be desired on fuel economy though, 11-12 mixed city and highway and 14-15 out on long trips down the interstate. Good Luck!

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well MPGs sound ok. dont care about luxury, if i wanted a caddy I wouldnt be buying a truck. thats one of the reasons i dont like GMs they're too over done. anyway thanks for all the replies. ill talk to some dealerships this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts