The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up? I have been looking at a couple of 2500 5 speed 24v Cummins and I would like to be able to tell what the heck i am looking at. Any advice on weak points to look for. I know there is a thread like this somewhere in here but i am on a time crunch so if you could link me to it or add here thanks.

Steven

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the injection pump before you buy. A manual gauge with a long hose is perfect for the job. It hooks up quick and you can read it while driving. Also, turn the ign key on then off 3 times quickly without actually starting the truck and look in the odometer window for any codes to show. p-done will show when the scan is done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks the one that i really like already has a pressure guage in the cab what should it read? it has stainless fuel lines and its a spin fuel filter. any way to see if it has been programmed? it has some mods already done. they told me that it has a southbend clutch anyway to visually inspect it. they're asking 12k for it and i think i am gonna go ahead and snatch it up. The only thing that worrys me is that the motor has been apart.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
The fuel pressure should stay above 5 psi at WOT and idle at about 12-15 psi minimum to be safe. If it has a spin on fuel filter on the frame rail it is probably a FASS system or similar which is good. Now the big question is "Why was it apart?" Did they install fire rings? Or did they melt a piston? What did they tell you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fuel pressure is at 19psi at idle and 8 at wot they cant tell me what happened because the truck has passed thru multiple hands. he tells me that the motor has been apart for a rebuild and as far as i can tell it has been completely apart. the motor it tight and after a test drive today all i can say is wow. that truck makes some power. no slippage from the clutch no grind in the tranny, everything was like butter. felt better than a new truck when driven. i am going to buy this one and hope that it hold together. thanks for all the input. ill get some pics today and post'em.

thanks again

steven

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me like you have found a pretty good truck. Hope all works out for you and ask away if we can be of anymore help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts