The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find an answer. this doesn't always happen but it seems to getting more frequent. sometimes the throttle pedal is so touchy, if I barely touch it the truck revs up/surges like it wants to just take off. sometimes while cruising if I try to apply light throttle the truck will again surge and start bucking.

I checked for codes and there aren't any present. all the research I've found about the throttle pedal going bad refers to a dead spot or no acceleration, I have exactly the opposite porblem.

any help greatly appreciated, this is starting to get annoying...

thanks

·
391 Posts
I would lean toward the TPS myself, but I have never heard of this symptom before.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Don,

I think I would change the TPS with a known good one before going out and buying one. If you have a buddy with one of these trucks, just swap his in for a few minutes and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, the we'll keep scratchin' our heads about this one.

prt

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's a good idea. like I said it doesn't happen all the time but it's definatly getting worse in the past few days. It's very annoying, but what gets me is it doesn't throw a code which makes it ever more bizare.

·
391 Posts
A bad TPS will not throw a code.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to think it is the TPS. I actually don't know anyone that has a 7.3L anymore that I can try out before I buy one, so does anyone know the best (CHEAPEST) place to get one? I know you have to buy the whole pedal which sucks when you just need the sensor...

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rock Auto sells just the sensor for like $47. is there any need/advantage to buying the whole pedal assembly for $100 more?

·
5 Posts
did you get the problem fixed? mine does same thing i tried new ones and it still does it in few weeks or so.sometimes i just reach under there and un plug mine and plug it back and it will stop for a while that tells me it still not the sensor on mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts