The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys lets hear some stories form previous tickets you have occurred over the years with fines and if the DOT Officer put you out of service.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
What happened?

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
gotta love black smoke!
388 Posts
Are you asking OTR driving a semi or pickup?

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you asking OTR driving a semi or pickup?
Both if you are required to stop at a scale house i would like to hear what you have experienced.

·
gotta love black smoke!
388 Posts
Just the other day got a level 1 and the dot officer said I went over my 14 on one day... I told him I run local and I go off duty at the same place everynight and can run one 16 hr day once in a 8/70 rotation. He had to call main office even after I told him the "code"for the law. Think its funny when DOT officers dont even know the law and try to enforce them.

Reactions: SOOTBANDIT

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Just the other day got a level 1 and the dot officer said I went over my 14 on one day... I told him I run local and I go off duty at the same place everynight and can run one 16 hr day once in a 8/70 rotation. He had to call main office even after I told him the "code"for the law. Think its funny when DOT officers dont even know the law and try to enforce them.
Yeah I have to do the same thing with myself too somecase a printed paper will show them and clear up couple details.

The worst is in my trade is the electrical inspectors they are simauir to the DOT officers some will know and some DON'T !!!!

And if run in local mode you may have little more leeway than interstates mode per regulations.

Merci.
Marc

·
4,827 Posts
Only time I've ever been asked for a logbook was when I was around home. As long as I stay within 100 miles of my home 20, I don't even run one. They all have just asked my destination and checked the distance in their laptop. Said OK and I was on my way. :)

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i got the gas chamber felt like at the Pocatello ( Inkom Scale House) ID the last scale i had to cross before making a delivery to Shelley ID the following morning. Trucks front axle hits the scale BOOM red light I was like WTF she comes out and starts ripping my azz about the blue lights (led) that came wit the trailer she said thats law enforcement only i was like ma'am this how the trailer came when i hooked it up. She said DL and Logbook driver and go up and park and come in wit the rest of your paperwork. Well 45 min later and after checking my log from front to back and using a program on the computer i think it said something like Pro X Miles??? she then wanted to see all my papers so i provided them to her after bout another 15min she said save yourself $400 for the lights go remove them?? I was like its a brand new trailer and also its not mine. So i removed the lenses pretty simple and made her happy then she finally let me go but making me close on to my 11hr time by oh 10 min or so. So lesson learned from IN to UT I can run the led lights but once i hit ID i better remove them or turn them off if there is a switch.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
this is one of many, but most recent...we loaded out in downtown LA one time, got north of the vine on 5 and come to find out one of our guys was 3k over on his trailer....so we slid the axles back on his trailer to make it weight legal but of course not CA legal. got to the last scale house in CA on 5 heading north and they pulled him in for being over length...of course when we made him CA legal, he was overweight. so we had to unload 1/3 of the trailer full of gear onto the angled parking lot (everything was roadcases, with wheels on the bottom) and swap it with another guys load...went back over the scale and he was still 350lbs over on the trailer..DOT wouldnt let him leave..so we then had to take off his ramps that are in the middle of the trailer and weighed again..this time 150lbs over and they let us go after 5 hours of messing around...:wtf

I also learned that you have to have PRINTED the last 7 days of your log, i run DDL on my laptop...while it passed in alabama when I got pulled in for a level 3, CA however did not like it and made me go to my truck and print up everything.

·
gotta love black smoke!
388 Posts
this is one of many, but most recent...we loaded out in downtown LA one time, got north of the vine on 5 and come to find out one of our guys was 3k over on his trailer....so we slid the axles back on his trailer to make it weight legal but of course not CA legal. got to the last scale house in CA on 5 heading north and they pulled him in for being over length...of course when we made him CA legal, he was overweight. so we had to unload 1/3 of the trailer full of gear onto the angled parking lot (everything was roadcases, with wheels on the bottom) and swap it with another guys load...went back over the scale and he was still 350lbs over on the trailer..DOT wouldnt let him leave..so we then had to take off his ramps that are in the middle of the trailer and weighed again..this time 150lbs over and they let us go after 5 hours of messing around...:wtf

I also learned that you have to have PRINTED the last 7 days of your log, i run DDL on my laptop...while it passed in alabama when I got pulled in for a level 3, CA however did not like it and made me go to my truck and print up everything.
DOT can only check last 8/7 days depending if you are running a 70/8 or 60/7. If they ask for more let them know they can contact your home office for the rest. You are only required to keep those in your truck. I run same software and transfer to paper logs at end of day. Only time dot can look at more then 7/8 days is if you are getting a safety audit and they go through everything, but you know when thats gonna happen most of the time and never happens at a weight station of side of highway.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
i guess i should have been more clear....I do print my logs every week on sundays. We send them into the office and I keep a copy every week in a folder. It was a thursday or something that this happend and he wanted to see up untill that day on paper....I think that makes more since. haha

·
gotta love black smoke!
388 Posts
i guess i should have been more clear....I do print my logs every week on sundays. We send them into the office and I keep a copy every week in a folder. It was a thursday or something that this happend and he wanted to see up untill that day on paper....I think that makes more since. haha
Right in the program it says print every day to be legal... :bdh
and fyi it you print then "change something" it will show up in the back up that you changed it found that out the wrong way:swear

·
121 Posts
well when i was driving i told the boss/owner that i needed a new windshield (cracked bad) an that when i was going thur the scales they were going to red light me sometime.. well never got me a windshield.. an my replacement driver (i was on vacation) went thur the scales well he got a red light pulled over.. for the windshield.. then turns out he had the incorrect lic. they were calling me for a few days to come get the truck... to bad i was out of town lol ;)

·
Wanna be door swinger
422 Posts
I've been caught overweight about 3 times. Everytime I was about 20,000 lbs. over hauling steel coils and/or sheets. The overweights were no big deal to me until CSA 2010 came into effect.

About 9 years ago I had a car cut in front of me on a 4 lane highway and slow way down when they saw a patrol car in the median. The officer pulled out and grabbed me for following to close even after he admited to seeing the cars actions. At the time I was hauling steel and was driving a 3 axle Pete with a 3 axle Reitinouer covered wagon. I had the 3rd axle on the trailer down because of the position of the coil and rough roads. Well I decided to fit the ticket and hired a lawyer. The day of the trial the officer showed up and started citing stopping distances for 5 axle combination vehicles. At that point my lawyer brought up the signed statement I wrote out about the incident and the video was played showing my truck with 6 axles rolling going past the officers cruiser right before he pulled out of the median. The judge asked the officer if he knew the stopping distance for a 6 axle combo...he didn't have a clue. The case was thrown out with no fines or fees to me (besides my lawyer). Ever since then I get a "friendly wave" from that officer when I go through the area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts