The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an antique "Homelite" trash pump that runs well, (two stroke) but the fuel primer bulb has gone bad from age. It uses an MT83A series carburetor.

It's kind of an odd sized bulb and I've found nothing that resembles it so far. Would really like to be able to use this pump again if a primer bulb can be located.

·
3,533 Posts
Napa has some of them and most power saw repair shops have every posible bulb. You want to take it out as a pattern, to get the right one.
Just a thought!

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Napa has some of them and most power saw repair shops have every posible bulb. You want to take it out as a pattern, to get the right one.
Just a thought!
Thanks John, I have a couple of different vendors looking for a bulbl to match up. It's about 7/8ths in diameter, about the same in depth, and uses a retaining band that fits like a wedding band. The original split at the retaining band but I carefully cut that part back and slipped it back on. It is now too shallow to use as a primer but the seal is good and the pump will once again pull fuel to run.

Homelite is another brand John Deere bought up to rebrand as their own and closed them down.

·
1,324 Posts
This guy advertises in my gas engine magazine. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he knows where to find it. http://www.bser.com/index.htm

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/#axzz2W3plxceB

Yeah unfortunately Homelite was another USA company victim of the acquire and sell by big companies like Textron and Deere. It's owned by a company based in Hong Kong now. My dad' super XL is still a great saw we cut a lot of firewood with it until I left home and he put in a new high efficiency furnace and scrapped the wood burner. Weird how that happened. LOL

Deere is the only US Agriculture equipment company left from so many that existed 100+ years ago.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This guy advertises in my gas engine magazine. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he knows where to find it. http://www.bser.com/index.htm

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/#axzz2W3plxceB

Yeah unfortunately Homelite was another USA company victim of the acquire and sell by big companies like Textron and Deere. It's owned by a company based in Hong Kong now. My dad' super XL is still a great saw we cut a lot of firewood with it until I left home and he put in a new high efficiency furnace and scrapped the wood burner. Weird how that happened. LOL

Deere is the only US Agriculture equipment company left from so many that existed 100+ years ago.
Thanks a bunch. I still have a couple of Homelite, and Roper saws from many days of old that are still very good units. They aren't throw away types like those produced today. One of the Roper's has a 21" stainless bar with both automatic chain tensioning and sprocket lubrication, being heavy enough to cut with it's own weight, (not a limbing saw).

I'll make contact with the link you posted.

Thanks

·
1,324 Posts
Any luck? I need to rebuild the carb on my little homelite chainsaw pretty sure the diaphragm is bad. Only runs if you throttle the choke. Just one more thing on my giant to do list.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any luck? I need to rebuild the carb on my little homelite chainsaw pretty sure the diaphragm is bad. Only runs if you throttle the choke. Just one more thing on my giant to do list.
I was able to match up a primer bulb at one of the local implement dealers. It was close enough in fit that the retaining band was difficult to get on but it seems to work alright.

·
76 Posts
hey guys...just a thought...i do a lot of work for the local landscapers and ONE thing is RUN A GAS STABILIZER...the ethenol in the gas is terrible for a small engine...other things r rr gas filter in tank and replace the lines....about the carbs...replace them. this will keep u sane!!!!

·
1,324 Posts
hey guys...just a thought...i do a lot of work for the local landscapers and ONE thing is RUN A GAS STABILIZER...the ethenol in the gas is terrible for a small engine...other things r rr gas filter in tank and replace the lines....about the carbs...replace them. this will keep u sane!!!!
Agreed I try not to fill any of my low use power equipment with summer gas. It is formulated differently in my area and turns to garbage in weeks. Most of the higher quality 2-stroke oils now have a stabilizer in them. I did find a gas station that had a special pump with 100% gasoline for boats and power equipment. Might fill up my cans there next time I go by.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed I try not to fill any of my low use power equipment with summer gas. It is formulated differently in my area and turns to garbage in weeks. Most of the higher quality 2-stroke oils now have a stabilizer in them. I did find a gas station that had a special pump with 100% gasoline for boats and power equipment. Might fill up my cans there next time I go by.
Until last year we had a station offering "alcohol free" gasoline also. No longer however. I usually run a small engine out of fuel, then add just a bit to the tank being a mixture of gasoline/sta-bil mix to set for the winter. I start the engine, starve it for fuel, then put it in storage. Never have had any problems but the storage area is also heated in the cold months. When the storage area was unheated, I followed the same procedure but filled the tanks full with the blend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts