The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the truck for almost a year now and I'm ordering an Xcal2 next week.(don't know were yet)

Is there any problems with early 03 builds (Feb 03 engine) and Sct?

1) I want a high horsepower race tune for the track
2) I would like a strong street tune with good drivability
3) An economy file for highway (steady 2000rpm cruising) because I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day.
4) need to work good on cold mornings

Truck is stock except for 4" turbo back exhaust and no cat.
tag on pcm shows BKG8.

Is all of this posibble?

Any feedback from guys running sct for a long time would be great.

Thanks.:Thumbup:

·
793 Posts
I've been running my SCT for a while now, still have my sct1 with the original tunes. I've tried all three tunes that came with it economy, tow, extreme and have found I like the driveability and fuel economy of the extreme. For some reason I actually get better economy in extreme than the others. As far as cold mornings mine starts and runs fine in the cold, just take it easy on it till it reaches operating temperature and you'll be fine. I'm sure the tunes have come a long ways since I got mine, and one of these days I'll upgrade the tunes and maybe the tuner, but am defenitely satisfied with what I've got.

·
342 Posts
The 3.5 & 04 model 6.0L had both the head bolt stretch and headgasket issues. running a strong extreme tune is asking for trouble. A medium performance tune with preset safety features would probably work best.

·
Texas XC Quad Racer
957 Posts
As LT sad, a nice aggressive street tune is what you need, not a full-out race tuen. In regards to economy, with "normal driving", the more aggressive tunes will yield better economy. With a good aggressive street tune, you'll have plenty of power, probably as much as the Bully Dog's more agressive stuff, great economy and everything you need.

EDIT: Another thing, when you put new tires, if your still running the stock size tires, an oversize tire like a 33" tire will get you a tad bit better mileage by bringing the rpms down a little. On my truck, with a good program and 35" tires (stock gearing), I was getting 20.5 mpg on the highway and 18.5 city, give or take a couple tenths. I think, with the stock gearing and an SCT, 35" tires are the ideal setup.

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I ordered one from Doug a couple of days ago.

I guess I'll have to replace those headgaskets when they go and get some headstuds to replace those bolts.:Thumbup:

:thanks:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts