The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that once you get to a certain size injector that you need to change the timing? Any truth to this & how would you do it?

·
4,158 Posts
Never heard of it myself, but I do know if you wanted to change the timing you'd have to buy a box that adjusts timing.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Timing on a VP44 fuel system is completely controlled by the ECM and the VP44. There is no mechanical why of changing the timing on the truck.

Enhancement Boxes or programmers will reprogram the ECM and VP44 with timing advancement....:Thumbup:

·
3,514 Posts
Smokem said:
Not exactly, you could without getting too technical create a disrupting controller for the signal to the ECM from the Cam Position Sensor to alter the timing advance.
The injector/piston combination on these engines is pretty limited in how much timing advance you can run though, correct? Or does that change with larger injectors because the fuel is delivered faster?
Sean

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I'm not sure of the max timing you can add to these engines but I would say that most boxes or programmers basically hit the safe limits rather well...

But still the fact remains that you got to give the fuel enough time to burn and you don't want to be over advanced in timing either... I see it as a balancing act..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts