The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 f-350 and i am going next week to get a 4 inch lift,then im ordering new tires and wheels.im prolly going to run 315's.just wondered what everyone thought about what kind to get,that got some good tread wear,but also did good in the snow,and maybe mud if i get into some.i was thinking about the bfg all terrains.thanks guys.another question i have is that if i put a bigger downpipe on,with my 4" straight pipe,do i still need the gauges installed or would i be safe without them for a while???

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
the bfg a/t our ****in loud way worse that a mudder i like cooper sst muds just my .02

·
1,726 Posts
camojeeper said:
the bfg a/t our ****in loud way worse that a mudder i like cooper sst muds just my .02
I've had BFG a/t's before and they weren't loud. They were on a 1/2 ton truck though. They aren't worth the price they cost though IMHO.

Toyo Open Country A/T's look pretty nice but I've never ran them.

Cooper has a couple tires that would be much better than both the Toyo or BFG in the snow/ice.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well,i guess we will see how them bfg's do because they are ordered.i got them for $197 a piece.dont know if thats good or bad,but if they dont work out,ill either sell them or something and buy a different set.as far as the gauge question goes,a buddy told me i could run the 100 hp setting on my evolution without the gauges,he said that with the bigger down pipe and straight exhaust,that i would be fine.anyone agree with this?? i am still going to get them sometime,because i also like the looks of them.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
first if you melt you r motor your buddy woulnt have to pay for it he will just:shrug: and say sorry. a pyrometer is as important as oil pressure. i had an edge evo and it will damn sure spike the egt when you nail it of course there are many variables like truck weight, gearing, cac, air, exhaust.ETC the question i ask you is your 8000 dollar engine worth a 130 dollar gauge?

·
Registered
394 Posts
camojeeper said:
first if you melt you r motor your buddy woulnt have to pay for it he will just:shrug: and say sorry. a pyrometer is as important as oil pressure. i had an edge evo and it will damn sure spike the egt when you nail it of course there are many variables like truck weight, gearing, cac, air, exhaust.ETC the question i ask you is your 8000 dollar engine worth a 130 dollar gauge?
:whs

Its worth the money to have a piece of mind about things

·
Registered
687 Posts
yup. Lotta factors can come in that can push that Evo to near danger limits. I used to run one, and had gauges. The most I could ever get it to hit was about 1100, about 75% in her, pulling a big long hill. I probably coulda got it over 11 and close to 12 had I really poured into her. That was with a down pipe and 4".

And that was empty. So add a trailer to the equation and I'd guess you could get into danger areas.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
My sig isn't lying about my BFG AT KO's...

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Yeah, its worth the price of gauges to watch your engine. I am almost ready to order mine, but thats before I put my programmer on it. Hoping to get a DP in the near future.

How good are the Cooper S/T's on the highway. Cooper says that they do good, but I have never had a set. I like the way they look, but I don't want to buy tires real often. I had a set of the Cooper ATR's and they did good, but like i said I like the way the S/T's look.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
tm i had a set of the st in a 285 on my rig they were great the about the best a/t out there if you like an a/t how ever i now run cooper stt m/t there mean and seem to be wearing well

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Good deal, I was going to get 285's. Thanks

·
1,726 Posts
What kind of life did you get out of the ATR's?

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
They were 315's and I think I got about 20,000 out of them, and I wasn't easy on them by no means. :sly:

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
tm0231009 said:
They were 315's and I think I got about 20,000 out of them, and I wasn't easy on them by no means. :sly:
Saw you lived in Iberia... I'm not too far away...

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Zaairman said:
Saw you lived in Iberia... I'm not too far away...
I see that, where are you going to school at? - Small world huh -

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
tm0231009 said:
I see that, where are you going to school at? - Small world huh -
Rolla... Formerly UMR, now MST

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i had a 96 f-250 heavy duty with a 351 in it,and i had 285 cooper st's on it and i myself really liked them.they handled good,they was wearing good when i traded the truck off,i think i put like 20000 on them and they was still in good shape.i thought about gettin them this time,but ive already ordered the bfg's,so i guess i have to take them.the guy at the off road shop wanted me to buy the pro comp x-terrain tires,but then he wanted me to wait another month or so for when they go on sale,buy 3 get 1 free,but i couldnt wait that long.he told me he was going to get 40000 miles on his set or better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts