The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys rotate?
i used to always go cross with all of them then straight front to back the next time.
now i see a way that you can do it the same every time, where you cross the front to the back and then move the back straight forward.
Is this what everyone does? is there an advantage to one over the other?

·
5,365 Posts
i cross the fronts, when moving them to the rear...and then
move the rears STRAIGHT to the fronts.

if you cross them BOTH ways then youre basically NOT crossing them.

i TRY to rotate every 10k and i got nearly 75k miles outta the
OE set (about 20/25k of that 75k was towing 5k-7k lbs)

Reactions: listo

·
68 Posts
I move the rear tires straight up to the front. I take the RF and move it the LR and move the LF to the RR. I don't include the spare. I believe this is what the owners manual recommends.

I don't use the 5K or 10K rule because it's only a guideline and every driver drives differently and so their tires wear differently. Instead, I rub my hand over the top of each front tire. As you rub your hand over the tire, you can feel the tread has raised edges or catches your hand as you try to rub the tire it. On the drivers side, you rub your hand counter clockwise, and clockwise on the passenger side. If your hand catches on the tread, it's time to rotate.

Hope this helps... good luck!

·
44 Posts
Many tire manufacturers, including Bridgestone, recommend the you rotate the tires front to back only. This is supposed to prevent premature seperation of the belts. I'm not sure if it makes any difference

·
5,365 Posts
Many tire manufacturers, including Bridgestone, recommend the you rotate the tires front to back only. This is supposed to prevent premature seperation of the belts. I'm not sure if it makes any difference
when radials were 1st produced this was true...and if youre using DIRECTIONAL
tread tires (think Z & ZR rated performance tires) you can not swap or
change directions (only front to rear "rotation").

our trucks do not come w/ directional tread tires, you should crisis-cross
one of the pair (front or rear, but not both & you should be consistent as
to which pair you always cross) to extend the life/wear of the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts