The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am getting ready to go dyno my trucks on Saturday. I was wondering what set of tires should I run? My stockers, or my 325's? Will the smaller tire give you a better read out because of less power taken to drive the larger tires? I am thinking so. But what do you all who have dyno'd before think? Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i would think a smaller tire would give you hire numbers. i have asked this question in this thread before and nobody answered. i ran my truck on the dyno with 285's on. my next run i will hopefully have my new tires i think i am going with 305's so we will see if there is a diffrence.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
i have heard that bigger tires do lead to a #s on the dyno! bigger the tires, the more the drop! i think somebody told me a 35" tire takes off like 20-25 hp or so..?!?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Larger tires definitely affect dyno numbers.

I don't know about you but I'm not simply looking for the highest number possible, if that were the case I could swap, unbolt, and change all kinds of stuff just for one dyno run.

Dynos are good to measure performance differences, such as before and after installing a performance enhancer.

I want dyno numbers that reflect how my truck runs on the street everyday, not some one-time kamikazee setup.
That way I know how my dyno numbers translate to real world performance, rather than having an arbitrary 3-digit number to brag about.

IMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dyno will read whatever your truck puts to the rollers. Given the fact that bigger tires have been proven to take away RW horsepower, that should tell you that your numbers will be smaller. I do agree though that you should run your truck on the dyno however you drive it. So if you drive it with bigger tires then run it with bigger tires. Unless you like to flash your numbers around, and lets face it... who doesn't!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts