The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 f350 dually that I just put a 4" lift on. I have nitto terra grappler 285/75/16 on my stock wheels now they are 16x6. Am running a 1/2 spacer in back and now I need a bigger tire if I have to put a bigger spacer in back that's not a big deal. I bought a set of moto metal rims they are 16x6 forged pvd coated I didn't want to go to a 17" rim. Was looking at toyo open country a/t2 in sizes 295/75/16 or 315/75/16 will the rim crack being forged with that size tires on them. any help would be great thanks

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The problem is the 6" rim width. Metric to inch conversion is 25.4mm to 1", so a 235/75-16 is 9.2" wide on the bulge of the sidewall at the bottom of the tire with weight on it. That's already 50% wider than your rim. Your 285/75-16 is in reality about 12" wide on that bulge, going to a 315/75-16 puts you at 13" on your 6" wide rim.

The issues are two fold. First, is that the sidewalls are not in proper relation to the tread, meaning wear patterns, operating temperatures, ride quality and driving characteristics are all impacted. The second is that you need 1"+ between the bottom bulge on the duals to prevent sidewall rub, heat buildup, and potential failure during driving.

Do guys ignore all of those issues and run them anyway? Well, yeah, they do. And if you must have a taller tire, then do your best to get the tallest tire for a particular width, or rather the narrowest width for the height you want.

A better solution would be if a wheel manufacturer would start making 7.5" or 8" wide 17", 18", and 20" wheels for duals and build the correct offset into them to eliminate the spacers.

Sent by my right thumb!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts