The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been asked but what size tire work best with the stock wheels? We all know the stock size tire look silly on the truck so how big are you guys going and does any one have pics showing the size tire they recomend? TIA! :usflag

·
Registered
390 Posts
if you don't want to do anything to the truck go with the LT265-75R16's but with a twist of the T/Bars you can clear LT285-75R16's,thats what i'm runnin on my truck.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
i know some people with some trimming and cranking the t bars have stuffed 305's or 33's whichever your tire comes in.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I cranked my bars and there's no way 285's fit unless you get out the dremel & start cutting the front valance.

Mine's a GMC, so chevy might be different. I'd love to move up to 285's.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
tahoedmax said:
i know some people with some trimming and cranking the t bars have stuffed 305's or 33's whichever your tire comes in.
read the whole thing..

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

·
3,754 Posts
ive seen 285s on a chevy w/some cranking

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
tahoedmax said:
read the whole thing..
I did read the whole thing.

I said GMC has a different front valance than Chevy. Bigger tires require more bumper/valance trimming that chevy doesn't.

·
3,939 Posts
Lark3po said:
Sorry if this has already been asked but what size tire work best with the stock wheels? We all know the stock size tire look silly on the truck so how big are you guys going and does any one have pics showing the size tire they recomend? TIA! :usflag
I have 265's on my stockers, and they work fine. I have been toying with the idea of upsizing to 285's in the next year. 285's will work just fine on stock wheels. You will have to crank up the torsions so they dont rub.

I have a GMC, too. The design of the lower valence is different than a Chevy, so we will see. If worse comes to worse, I can always space the bumper out a bit.

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
Duke said:
I cranked my bars and there's no way 285's fit unless you get out the dremel & start cutting the front valance.

Mine's a GMC, so chevy might be different. I'd love to move up to 285's.
I've seen 305s with just cranking Tbars, my daughters boyfriend has 285s on stock wheels on his 01 with just leveling it out by cranking the torsion bars, he could tuck 305s on those rims as it sits also...he does have a cut bumper, but thats only because he used to run 305s on a 10" rim, and the rim was too wide so it rubbed. his friend has the same truck but with a 9" rim and 305s and he just leveled it with the tbars and he has no rubbing, had to remove the mud flaps though.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
FordRacing200 said:
I've seen 305s with just cranking Tbars, my daughters boyfriend has 285s on stock wheels on his 01 with just leveling it out by cranking the torsion bars, he could tuck 305s on those rims as it sits also...he does have a cut bumper, but thats only because he used to run 305s on a 10" rim, and the rim was too wide so it rubbed. his friend has the same truck but with a 9" rim and 305s and he just leveled it with the tbars and he has no rubbing, had to remove the mud flaps though.
'01 might have a different set up and like I said, GMC has a different valance that's more restrictive. I bolted a 285 onto my truck, and even with the TBars cranked, it doesn't fit without rubbing.

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
My cousin has an 06 2500 with 315s on it. He cranked the t-bars and new blocks in the rear. It rubs only a little bit, i'm not sure if he trimmed or not.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i'm runnin 285's on my 06 GMC right now and i had to crank the T/Bars and i did a little trimming on the bumper and zip tied the inner fender back a little and everything clears now but if you don't want the hassle just stay with the 265's plus they don't look that bad compard to the 285's..

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think two trucks are the same in stance, some can run 285's with just cranking and some have to trim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dick Cepek DC-II Rims

Anyone running these rims? What size tires are you using? The offset is slighlty wider than stock. They look great but its time to upgrade/replace the rubber and just curious what everyone is using.

Thanks,

Matty

·
19 Posts
We just put 285 bfg's on my father-in-laws 07 gmc, turned up t-bars put in 1/2" spacers on bumper and trimmed "he goes off road", I keep telling him should have gotten a Dodge 285 fit easy. hahaha

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Eric M said:
We just put 285 bfg's on my father-in-laws 07 gmc, turned up t-bars put in 1/2" spacers on bumper and trimmed "he goes off road", I keep telling him should have gotten a Dodge 285 fit easy. hahaha
Were the 1/2" bumper spacers part of a kit, or did he just use washers, bar stock, etc.? Where did he trim?

·
Registered
390 Posts
the 245's are roughly 29.8" tall and the 265's are a 31" tire..

while i think about it,i just put a set of 33-12.50R20 toyo open country mt's on my GMC and i cranked the T/Bars some more and they only rub at full lock so i'm perty happy and they look good..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.