The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am looking for a set of tires that is going to be good for towing(wear and handling noise etc) but also capable off road.
As it sits now I am running 35x12.50r18 BFG M/T km2's but with all thew towing we did this past summer(30' gooseneck usually loaded and our 26' Fifth wheel) it ate up those mud terrains pretty quickly.

So I am looking for an all terrain tire that is in the 12.5-13.5 width range and looking at going back to 33's. I want a load range D but E would be great. Is there anything out there?

So far all I have found that I kinda like are the Nitto a/t's. any input?

Thanks everyone

·
2,710 Posts
ever thought of 19.5's ?

19.5 Conversion:
http://www.ricksontruck.com/

you can still run an aggressive tire but get high way tire mileage and way better handling them any E range tire with smooth ride actually i know they say load range's F G and H but trust me they ride like C or D's but out perform E's . . .

Ford single wheels:
http://www.ricksontruck.com/customers_ford_srw.html

Ford duel wheels:
http://www.ricksontruck.com/customers_ford_drw.html

Lots of good info on them in the link above and the other 2 links have some photos tho going threw ebay n your local tire n wheel shops may save you $100's in switching over. . .

i Run mudders i get 60,000- 75,000 miles out of set of tires with 19.5's 16's n 17's 35K miles tops. . .

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
I'm post photos the tread design's i run and get 60,000+ miles from !
you may prefer some thing less aggressive which will only last even longer, i routinely drive were most dare not so there for Mudders for me is a must. . .

Mike

Photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really liking this idea but am just bumed with the limited styles of wheels I want black rims but something more unique. But I am liking this idea. What are the price ranges for tires and rims usually?

·
2,710 Posts
around $50-100 for steal's n $150-$250 for alloys.
tires range from $140-$160 to $250-$350 depending on where you get them.

Some places are dirt cheap other's try n rip you off

But that is just the best site as it show's truck with tires n wheels but there are many styles of wheels n tires out there. . .

I'll see if i can google some up for you. . .

Mike

·
137 Posts
$50-$100 for steels? I need 5 8 on 6.5" 19.5's to put on my flatbed trailer. My thinking here is that when I nearly wear out the 19.5's on my 550 I can put them on the trailer where they can live out the rest of their life. I'm tired of 16" 10 ply tires that wear out so fast. Please post some links of suppliers for these 19.5's if you dont mind.

·
2,710 Posts
Ebay Craigs list local salvage yards . . . Buying wheels new is expensive . . .
i'll see what i can find you guy's :thumbsup

Tho it may take me a while I can find deals on 19.5 tires and wheel's i got 2 duallys that came with'em the 62' GMC and the 08 Sterling the 77' Ford i switched over from 10ply 16.5's best thing i ever did you'll love them 19.5's tread wear is fantastic and handling loaded n empty is amazing :thumbsup

:happymugs i'm on it :happymugs

Mike

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks man I am out there on the search now too haha

·
310 Posts
try looking at the TOYO Open Country A/T..... its a great tire and also come in the E rating.... i will be going back to them when the time comes for new tires. i run them now also.

·
2,710 Posts
I would save the money and switch to 19.5's better strong longer lasting tires less money.

Mike

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to look into how much a set of custom 19.5's is going to cost to get machined up. I know a shop that will make you pretty much and custom wheel

·
683 Posts
I would love to go this route, but...$400-500 per tire and then another $290 each for a steel wheel. That's almost $3K, without shipping or tax!! Is my math incorrect? I was really excited for a split second.

·
2,710 Posts
who ever is charging you $400-$500 a tire needs to be shot.
I been buying 19.5's at my local shops and haven't spent a penny over $200 a tire. I spend about $50-$100 for steal wheel's. . .

Alloy wheels cost me about $200-$250 a wheel tho.

but you gotta figure and easy 50-70K miles From a set of M/T tires, 70-90K miles from a set of A/T tires, and 90-110K miles from a set of H/T tires, Plus remember the fact that you only gotta buy wheels once ! one set of 8 lug wheels will fit any and all 8lug trucks or 1 set of 10 lug wheels will also fit any and all 10 lug trucks ya know ?

weather your going to 19.5's or from 17's to 20's or 22's your more then likely going to spend about the same if not more and still have to replace tires every 35-45K miles. . .

I average $75 per steal wheel $150 per tire and $225 per alloy wheel. I had to buy 6 at a time.

Mike

·
683 Posts
Mike...go to the Rickson web site and look at their price per wheel and price per tire. This is where I got the pricing info. I'm going to call them tomorrow and verify. What retailer do you use? I could save on the shipping since I'm not too far from the Rickson facility near Baltimore, MD.

·
2,710 Posts
I normally use GCR Tires or Wingfoot tires.
i'm buying the 225's and 245's tho, What sizes are you looking at ? 265s n 285's ?

those might be high priced as there more of a specialty item, which might make the
difference ? ? ?

as long as your not hauling commercially you could get some tires from tread wright tires they have 225's n 245's.

Tread wright:
http://www.treadwright.com/ShopNow/tabid/63/Default.aspx

I have use all the above tires in both front and rear alxes and never had 1 issue.

Mike

·
683 Posts
I've got 285/75R16. Is tread wright tires the name of another company, in addition to the two that you already mentioned?

·
2,710 Posts
Yes sir tread weight is an online store.

The other 2 stores would found locally.

Pretty much any tire shop serving RV's semi's dump trucks loaders ect.

Should stock them.

GCR is a Firestone ag n commercial truck dealer.

Wingfoot is a good year commercial tire dealer.

Tread weight is a general online tire store but carries tires as big as 245/70R19.5s which are 33.3"-33.6" tall depending on brand.

The 225/70R19.5 is 31.8"-32.5" tall depending on brand.

A goodyear brand 245*70*19.5 will end up being the same as your 285*16s ...
They run way wider then advertised.
Tread weights tires are $120 to $150 a tire and they come with a 24000mile 2 year warenty.

Mike

Reactions: Spindrift

·
683 Posts
Just need to find a decently priced 19.5 and take a look at the whole package.:thumbsup

·
2,710 Posts
this is true, I'm saying you have to switch over to them i just know there are becoming a popular wheel/tire swap for guys who tow heavy things or drive a lot.

I do both. . .So they work very well for me. . .

Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts