The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Breaks stuff
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I read a thread about someone puking, I see in their signature that they are running an SCT with tunes of all sorts. This raises questions to me, being as that I recently made the switch to SCT. I ran the crap outta my truck with a BullyDog tuner and NEVER puked. Now, maybe I'm the lucky one, or maybe there's something about this SCT thing. If I'm being premature, please correct me. I'm just leary now, and puking is not so much on my list of priorities!:shrug:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
I ran my bullydog for 20k miles and never puked:woot: . Put the sct on and she puked 50 miles down the road:damnit . I know alot of you guys like the sct but it did not impress me like I thought it would. The canned tunes are a joke and the custom tunes are better but mine puked with it. Since the truck puked I put the bullydog back on and beat the hell out of it trying to make her puke but she never does:woot: . The bullydog is an animal off the line but the sct has good top end but then again she puked on me.

Lonnie
 

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
Well puking is because of two main reasons either flash boiling and or blown hg's. When it flash boils the egr is clogged and supper heats the coolant and blows it out the degas. If hg's when cylender pressure and or boost reach a high enough level it will blow coolant out. So finally sct really has nothing to do with it other than if you do not have a egr block off it will help clog up the egr, and with the extra power will help blow hg's and both will make it puke. Hope this helps, Brent.
 

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
Joined
·
5,655 Posts
IMO, the custom SCT pushes the limits more to get more power, etc. than bullydog, etc....and there has been a lot of guys puke with other tuners too, just this site has dominately SCT tuned trucks so thats what you see a lot of....i saw a guy run on the dyno with an edge and he puked about 2-3 gallons of coolant on the 2nd run...said "dont worry, happens all the time..."
 

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
6L strokin said:
IMO, the custom SCT pushes the limits more to get more power, etc. than bullydog, etc....and there has been a lot of guys puke with other tuners too, just this site has dominately SCT tuned trucks so thats what you see a lot of....i saw a guy run on the dyno with an edge and he puked about 2-3 gallons of coolant on the 2nd run...said "dont worry, happens all the time..."
I think he had some blown hg's LOL
I agree i with 6L strokin i used to puke with my banks six gun all the time. actually more than with sct.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me more hesitant to tune the truck. I want the sct more than anything. I need clarification on something. If you have blown headgaskets or egr cooler., shouldn't it puke regardless of what tune is in there? Also the only 6.0 I have personally seen puke was running the bully dog, It was an 03 model with 120,000 miles. The truck had a diablo predator 100hp tune before this which could have done the damage. Back to my question is something broken on 07-six0 truck or is the sct causing it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,567 Posts
i think alot has to do on where you are puking from... Are you all puking from the heads or just out of the overflow tank???
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
I would assume it is coming form the overflow tank, If it was coming form the heads that should be a sure sign of blown headgasket or warped heads.:shrug:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
bronco81 said:
Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me more hesitant to tune the truck. I want the sct more than anything. I need clarification on something. If you have blown headgaskets or egr cooler., shouldn't it puke regardless of what tune is in there? Also the only 6.0 I have personally seen puke was running the bully dog, It was an 03 model with 120,000 miles. The truck had a diablo predator 100hp tune before this which could have done the damage. Back to my question is something broken on 07-six0 truck or is the sct causing it?
Mine puked out of the degas tank one time on the freeway doing around 70mph. I went to pass some one and the truck never down shifted and she started puking. It never puked when WOT!!! Just that one time and I pulled over and pulled the sct off and put my bullydog back in.She never puked the rest of the way home that night. And she still has not puked since:woot: .If I have somthing broken It would be puking with the bullydog:shrug: . I beat the hell out of my truck every time I drive it so I think it would puke if it was broke:shrug: . I dont know guys if there is somthing broke or not but the only thing I care about is not puking:woot: . I guess only time will tell:damnit

Lonnie
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
bronco81 said:
I would assume it is coming form the overflow tank, If it was coming form the heads that should be a sure sign of blown headgasket or warped heads.:shrug:
bronco81,
Yes, it is coming from the overflow tank when it did it.

Lonnie
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
I tend to agree with you I don't want to puke and that is why I have been so hesitant to buy the tuner because I don't the money to stud currently if the dealer would not do this under warranty. I wish there was a better understanding of what could be causing the coolant to puke out of the degas. My initial reaction is the fluid is under too much heat or pressure causing it to expand, but why won't the bullydog cause this same condition?
Good Luck
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
One question did you contact your tuner and get suggestions from them what could cause this they should have a better idea?
 

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
07six-o said:
Mine puked out of the degas tank one time on the freeway doing around 70mph. I went to pass some one and the truck never down shifted and she started puking. It never puked when WOT!!! Just that one time and I pulled over and pulled the sct off and put my bullydog back in.She never puked the rest of the way home that night. And she still has not puked since:woot: .If I have somthing broken It would be puking with the bullydog:shrug: . I beat the hell out of my truck every time I drive it so I think it would puke if it was broke:shrug: . I dont know guys if there is somthing broke or not but the only thing I care about is not puking:woot: . I guess only time will tell:damnit

Lonnie
That is the only time i can get mine to puke now. When it doesnt downshift and just takes off the egts are high and the cylender pressures are really high causing it to blow out the coolant. Mine also never pukes on wot.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
brentos said:
That is the only time i can get mine to puke now. When it doesnt downshift and just takes off the egts are high and the cylender pressures are really high causing it to blow out the coolant. Mine also never pukes on wot.
Brentos,

The crazy thing is, Egt's never got over 1k when it puked. When WOT the sct got around 1500 and never puked but when on the road doing 70 under 1k egt's she puked:shrug: I don't under stand it but it is what it is. When on the freeway with the bullydog , it down shifts when passing. Maybe that has somthing to do with it:shrug:

Lonnie
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
The HGs leaking is due to the head bolts stretching alowing the heads to lift. Their is more load on the engine when she doen't shift because the tk is strugling to push the piston down causing high cps. If you wear pulling a big hill and at wot it will puke. I blew my 1st 2 hgs with a HYPERTEC lll on stage 2 pulling my 5er. Now I run an SCT when i'm not pulling and stock tune when I do pull my 5er. I like my SCT because it controls my trans and the engine really go's.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
i think that if you broke it down you would find that people have puked and or blown HGs on just about any tuner, chip, or module out there. (Edge, SCT, bully dog, Banks , ) we know that there have even been stock trucks that have blown HGs. If you want an SCT i would tell your tuner that you do not have studs and you want very safe tunes.
 

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
07six-o said:
Brentos,

The crazy thing is, Egt's never got over 1k when it puked. When WOT the sct got around 1500 and never puked but when on the road doing 70 under 1k egt's she puked:shrug: I don't under stand it but it is what it is. When on the freeway with the bullydog , it down shifts when passing. Maybe that has somthing to do with it:shrug:

Lonnie
Your rite about that my egts only get up there when i have it in my smoke tune and am waiting for the turbo to catch up when i put it down on the interstate. More than anything is the cylender pressure goes through the roof. I have found if it is dogging down a little then tap the brake and it will normally downshift. I dont know what to tell you about tuners, as for the motor they are all ok some just make more power with the proper tunes but its the tranny controls that is the big difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
thats what Ralf is trying to determine in the Timing and Puking thead. And if we can find a dyno and tuner to do the test I will be happy to donate my truck as the test subject.(as long as some one will fix it)
 

·
Member
Joined
·
172 Posts
brentos said:
Your rite about that my egts only get up there when i have it in my smoke tune and am waiting for the turbo to catch up when i put it down on the interstate. More than anything is the cylender pressure goes through the roof. I have found if it is dogging down a little then tap the brake and it will normally downshift. I dont know what to tell you about tuners, as for the motor they are all ok some just make more power with the proper tunes but its the tranny controls that is the big difference.
what speeds are you going when you have to tap the brake to get it to downshift..im wondering if the TC wont unlock and tapping the brake unlocks it?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
nhill2090 said:
..im wondering if the TC wont unlock and tapping the brake unlocks it?

yes that is exactly what tapping the brakes does. it unlocks the TC
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top