The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooooooookay, Another question about gearing. I ahve a 1995 F350 with a ten lug conversion and 22.5 with low pros. They measure in at 36.5 inches tall. I have a Banks intercooler and stage one injectors. Not an overly biult truck by any means. The truck has an E4OD with 4:10 gears stock. I am not sure how much my tire and rim combination wieghs but I do know it is freaking heavy. I have had quite a few people tell me to leave the gears alone. However, when hooked to a moderate load I feel like I am not getting enough power to the ground When empty, that truck will boil all four rear tires. I do not remeber, but I think at highway speeds of 55 or 65 I am in the 2500 RPM range. I did the math and came up with a 4:88 new gear ratio, but I would rather go with a 4:56 if I do it.

So, what do you all think? Should I re-gear it or look into some more performance mods to hall the heavy stuff. :shrug:

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
If it were me, I would look into a DP Tuner F-5 with an 80hp-tow setting and see what that does for you. Get a boost, pyro, and trans temp gauge if its an auto to keep an eye on things. If thats not good enough then I would start looking into possibly regearing.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do plan to install all those gauges and a rear end temp gauge as well. As far as a tuner, I do want to do that I just have no idea which one is best for my application. I will check the DP out though. That is a start at least. Thanks.

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
DP tuner makes the best steroids for the 7.3, and Jody is a great guy to deal with. His service is second to none. You can get your chip with different settings to play with, but be sure to at least get an 80 tow setting. It fuels aggressive on the bottom end to help get the load moving.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
If you look seriously into tuners, make sure you give Tony Wildman a call as well. Both Jody from DP Tuner and Tony Wildman from Total Diesel Performance write killer tunes for the 7.3l motors. From what I've seen and read, Tony is as on top of the OBS trucks as anyone. This is going to be the hardest choice I've made for my truck so far, which tuner to use...
www.dptuner.com
www.totaldieselperformance.com

·
1,921 Posts
I'd got to DP Tuner or DI for your programing.

What injectors do you have? You say stage Is so if they are the typical stage I they aren't makeing you any more power than stock. If it's a stock injector with larger nozzles then a programmer will help but you won't see a huge improvement over what you have now.

As for gearing I don't think I'd change it. I think once you get some power to the grownd with the chip that you'll love it. I have 3.55 gears and 35" tires and it's pretty long legged but I wouldn't change it at all.

·
Honorary Superduty Member
68 Posts
:believe
I love a good debate, so ill take the other side and say that you should regear.

First... Seriously... 2500rpm @ 65mph- im have to call bs on that.

Second thing that you need to is reprogram your psom, or make sure that your overdrive is working...If you go from a 31 in tall tire to a 36 tire, your spedo will be off by about 15%. So reprogram your psom, and you will find that with that gearing/tire/tranny combo you should be turning around 1800 rpm @ 65 mph.

Your truck stock will turn about 2100rpm @65 with 4:10gears/ stock-ish tire (31)/and an e4od with .71:1 overdrive.

With 36.5 in tall tires...
4.10 gears would put you @ 1800 rpm @ 65 mph
4.56 gears would put you @ 1950 rpm @ 65 mph
4.88 gears would put you right back @ stock 2100 rpm @65mph.

So id say go with 4.88's

So you can spend the money now, buy the gears and be set.

Or... you can put a couple hundred bucks in a tuner, add 80 horse, pull 10k for a short distance, blow out your tranny. Then spend the money you should have spent on gears to buy a fancy new tranny which you wouldnt have needed in the first place... if only you would have bought gears:shrug:

·
61 Posts
!st your gearing is fine, second get a chip from Tony and you will have the best. Third stage 1's flow 160 cc and will give you way more than stock..should see 300+hp.

35" and 4.10 you should see aprox 2100rpm+- at 70mph
I have 37" now and its about 2k +- at 70
Towing 8-9K with 35" or 37" is no problem.
You just need a good tuner..Tony

Cary

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
first my vote is for dp tuner as stated above next i dont think you need gears 36"s are not all that big and a 7.3 will turn them no prob w/4.10 gears but i have two questions 1st when you say boil off the rears is this while towing? or all the time? 2nd how/why did you get stg 1s and not a chip?

so if i read your post correctly you have a traction issue not a gearing issue those 22.5 s are for big trucks and they have a very hard compound rubber i belive the problem to be that you dont have enof weight in the rear of your truck for your wheel/tire combo to work well. if you put in lower gears this will most likely get worse as you will be able to put more torque to the tires. but your tires wont be able to put it to the ground.
so you asked for our/my opinion so here it is. dump the 22.5 tires and get a softer compound 22.5 or dump the whole set up and go back to a tire that is made for your truck. thats what i think anyway steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would leave the gears be, i have 35's on 4.10's and am happy with the performance, if you were going to change then dont go higher then 4.56's, the 56's will make the truck drive like it has stock tires and 4.10's again

·
68 Posts
c00nhunterjoe said:
i would leave the gears be, i have 35's on 4.10's and am happy with the performance, if you were going to change then dont go higher then 4.56's, the 56's will make the truck drive like it has stock tires and 4.10's again
:believe No, if he had 4.88 the truck would drive at the stock rpm.:eek:wned

In my opinion regearing is the most worth-wile investment you can make when you put bigger tires on a truck. If you ever drive a truck with larger tires with high gears, then drive it after its been regeard, the difference is night and day.

caryt said:
!st your gearing is fine, second get a chip from Tony and you will have the best. Third stage 1's flow 160 cc and will give you way more than stock..should see 300+hp.
His gearing obviously isnt fine if he is thinking about regearing, his gearing is way to high, he needs to go lower, its not that his truck isnt putting out enough power, its that it has a hard time putting it to the ground with his current gearing and tire combo, putting on a tuner is the cheap way out, and is gonna lead to problems down the road.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Lonesome7.3 said:
Ooooooookay, Another question about gearing. I ahve a 1995 F350 with a ten lug conversion and 22.5 with low pros. They measure in at 36.5 inches tall. I have a Banks intercooler and stage one injectors. Not an overly biult truck by any means. The truck has an E4OD with 4:10 gears stock. I am not sure how much my tire and rim combination wieghs but I do know it is freaking heavy. I have had quite a few people tell me to leave the gears alone. However, when hooked to a moderate load I feel like I am not getting enough power to the ground When empty, that truck will boil all four rear tires. I do not remeber, but I think at highway speeds of 55 or 65 I am in the 2500 RPM range. I did the math and came up with a 4:88 new gear ratio, but I would rather go with a 4:56 if I do it.

So, what do you all think? Should I re-gear it or look into some more performance mods to hall the heavy stuff. :shrug:
easy guys remember this is the topic ^^^^^^^^^^

·
622 Posts
dukedrummer89 said:
:believe No, if he had 4.88 the truck would drive at the stock rpm.:eek:wned

In my opinion regearing is the most worth-wile investment you can make when you put bigger tires on a truck. If you ever drive a truck with larger tires with high gears, then drive it after its been regeard, the difference is night and day.

His gearing obviously isnt fine if he is thinking about regearing, his gearing is way to high, he needs to go lower, its not that his truck isnt putting out enough power, its that it has a hard time putting it to the ground with his current gearing and tire combo, putting on a tuner is the cheap way out, and is gonna lead to problems down the road.

if the rpm's are already at 2500 doing 65 do you really think that 4:88 are going to fix the problem?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
gearing is a good investment but i dont think thats his problem he is spinning the rears not enof traction.
i think its a tire combo problem not a gearing prob

·
61 Posts
Read his post:However, when hooked to a moderate load I feel like I am not getting enough power to the ground, When empty, that truck will boil all four rear tires

He can burn the tires EMPTY..who can't with stage 1's and a dually!

His problem as he states is he feels he needs more power with a load He's doesn't say he has a traction problem towing!!!

What he needs are good tunes to develope the power thats still to be unleashed. Stage 1's a good tuner and 37" tires with 4.10 is a towing monster. Waste of $$ changeing gears.

Cary

·
622 Posts
we all know what this motor is capable of doing and the reliable power it can produce, but it sounds like his RPM are really high when cruising, maybe gears are a better option to lower rpm's and save some fuel also.

but GTS has a good point, that if you have injectors and no tunes then you are not taking advantage of the power locked up in there...

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
caryt said:
Read his post:However, when hooked to a moderate load I feel like I am not getting enough power to the ground, When empty, that truck will boil all four rear tires

He can burn the tires EMPTY..who can't with stage 1's and a dually!

His problem as he states is he feels he needs more power with a load He's doesn't say he has a traction problem towing!!!

What he needs are good tunes to develope the power thats still to be unleashed. Stage 1's a good tuner and 37" tires with 4.10 is a towing monster. Waste of $$ changeing gears.

Cary
i did read his post there is no comma before empty so that means to me that he not getting the power to the ground while pulling a trailer with the truck bed empty look at it again:shrug: to me i think its those hard as* tires just wont hook up without some weight on them. i can fry my rears with 3.73's and a trailer real easy with no weight in my 250 truth be told with an 11000 lb 5 wheel i can still fry em. if he puts in lower gears he will for sure be able to spin them easyer than he is now im not trin to argue but i think this is a traction issue

·
1,921 Posts
dukedrummer89 said:
First... Seriously... 2500rpm @ 65mph- im have to call bs on that.
Honestly I was thinking the same thing. No way the rpms should be that high at 65 unless he's got the OD off.

caryt said:
Third stage 1's flow 160 cc and will give you way more than stock..should see 300+hp.
you are correct that MOST places sell a stage I as a 160cc injector. I however know of a place that will just put larger nozzles on stock injectors. So they will still only flow the stock 90cc of fuel. It will just get that fuel out faster.

The reason I asked the question about the injectors is because he doesn't list a programer or chip but he has the stage I injectors. With the typical Stage I injectors no chip or programer WILL GIVE YOU STOCK POWER because they have stock nozzles on them. you cannot get more fuel out unless you have something raising the ICP or PW.

So according to his sig with no chip or programer he is still at stock power UNLESS he has stock sized injectors (90cc) with larger nozzles which will give me more power than stock because they are able to get all that fuel out quicker. If he does have just larger nozzles he's most likely getting the entire 90cc or really close to it out so adding a chip or programer isn't going to be a huge improvement because you aren't going to be getting much if any more fuel out.

I hope that clarifies why I questioned about the injectors.

I know withi my truck at 70 I'm turning about 1700 rpm. I have 3.55 gears and 35" tires. I used to want to swap for 4.10 gears right up to the point I put injectors in it. With the added power I would not want to go to the lower gearing.

·
68 Posts
dzljon said:
we all know what this motor is capable of doing and the reliable power it can produce, but it sounds like his RPM are really high when cruising, maybe gears are a better option to lower rpm's and save some fuel also.
Lower gears will raise your rpms...YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN GO BACK IN TIME AND EDIT A POST

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.