The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for opinions or experiences with radiator sealers or stop leak. i have a small leak so i hate to pull the radiator and find a shop to fix it,they aren't always honest,not sure about sealers though,don't want to stop up the radiator or thermostat.experiences or thoughts appreciated let me know what you think guys.

·
J Mann Backhoe Service
404 Posts
I have used stop leak before , but on selective engines. For instance , my newer trucks , no . Last year we had a 953C leaky radiator, I put the recomended amount which was 2 bottles of stop leak. Took care of the problem and it is still ok. The radiator was getting green or soft , so I figured no harm.

·
Tribal
167 Posts
I avoid most additives like the plague HOWEVER, I have successfully used Bars-leak many times and have not once suffered any consequence. Green coloring on a radiator can be removed before it creates deterioration with a spray bottle of (that I cannot remember at the rum soaked moment but it's a bathroom/kitchen sink/tub cleaner) and a soft brush if required. Compressed air, rear to front when its wet will get the between fin debris out. Never bend the fins.

·
1,224 Posts
I have had luck on small leaks with both Bars Leak and Alum-Seal. Never had good luck on larger leaks. :happymugs

·
3,533 Posts
Using Bars leak you have to crush all the pellets up, and all that crap just clogs up the heater cores, they are not cheap. Seen many a radiator top covered in rabbit pellets
The Alumiseal is the only one I would ever use, and only until you can get the radiator fixed properly. If it blows when you are on the road you will have a tow bill plus the radiator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts