The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, another question from me. What is a good temp thermostat to put in my 99qc. I pulled out a 180, and got a new one from napa, and it was a 190. the problem I was haveing is pretty much overheating going up a grade. I do have an Edge EZ, and all, but didn't think it was enough to cause any overheating problems. has anyone encountered this? And if so, what is the best thing to do?:thanks:

·
560 Posts
Just out of stupidity, have you checked the rad to see if it is half clogged??

I always founf that the rad on my 99 would clog with oil and dirt to the point it would cause a "overheat"...

steved

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, I didn't really know that was a problem, but I will for sure be checking that out. Did you just flush the system to get all the crap out?:shrug:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ditto on what steved said ... sound more like a blocked radiator / AC condensor/ Intercooler combo than a thermostat problem.

You need to pull it out completely to check ... mine looked okay in the truck but once it was out ... well lets just say it was pretty well plugged up with dust and oil.

Kevin

·
560 Posts
bcumminsmeck said:
I haven't, I didn't really know that was a problem, but I will for sure be checking that out. Did you just flush the system to get all the crap out?:shrug:

I'm talking external...look down between the rad and intercooler (it is tight), it will most likely be covered with grey "fuzz"...the fuzz will be blocking your airflow through the rad...

I simply took some simple green, soaked the rad down, then carefully sprayed it out at a car wash...

I never changed the antifreeze in my 99...it was in there for 6 years...never had an issue.

And yes, the rad plugging airflow off from dirt is a problem...

steved

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I looked inbetween the rad and intercooler, and like you said... full of chit, so I pulled it out and cleaned the hell out of it, I will put it back in on monday, and see, I am sure it will make a difference seeing as I can't see how any air was getting through it at all. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.:thanks: :thanks: :cheering

Brandon

·
Registered
158 Posts
i lost almost 15 to 20 degrees when towing after cleaning out the rad also run a new hose to elimate the canister that fills up and makes a mess everywhere, frank

·
4,827 Posts
The problem is with the oil build up. The little breather bottle makes a mess, and the fan blows it around into the radiator fins. Reduced airflow will cause the higher temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts