The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I was reading posts about excessive levels of oil in the 6.7 blocks so I checked mine this morning. Holy Man !! It was over an inch higher than the max line on the dipstick. I have been reading posts on this phenomenon on all sorts of forums but no one seems to have it figured out for sure.

I don't give much credence to the "wrong dipstick length" theory because I checked my oil before I drove the truck off the lot and it was at the expected level. The theory I am giving my weight to the the "Engine oil dilution due to regen cycles" theory.

It is discussed at length on a few other forums but breaks down to the fact that when the DFP goes into regen, the computer causes injection of fuel in the exhaust stroke which then gets past the rings and into the crank.

I called my dealer to ask them what they know and what to do about it. The truck only has 2500km (around 1500 miles) on it and is not due for an oil change until 12,000. The dealer said they had no idea and had never heard of this before. I explained to them that it is the norm, not the exception and they shuffled their feet and booked the truck in for service tomorrow morning.

I printed out a few forum strings dealing with the problem and will give them to the service manager. This should be interesting... They also said they want to flash my truck again with some new flash that has come down the line but could not explain to me what the flash is for or what it does. I called Chrysler's head office and had them document my problem. They assured me they will follow up with the dealer and then .... told me they were sending me a $50.00 voucher good for parts at the dealership !!

I am not complaining about getting $50.00 , but what is THAT all about?

Thanks for reading my rave.
If it turns out the increased fluid in the crank is diesel fuel caused by regen cycles, I am going to say screw the warranty and order a Delete kit and fooler box immediately. I can't afford four or five $100 oil changes in 12,000km (7500 miles).
We don't have to worry about the EPA in Canada ... Thank God !
Has anyone else dealt with their dealer on this issue? Any resolution?

Cheers,
Chris

·
643 Posts
I had the exact same problem last october with my 07. I bought one of the first 6.7 to come out the line, they changed the oil at 2000kms then put the exact amount of oil in it. It was way up again? An engeneer from cummins came down to have a look at it and also analized the oil for fuel trace , coolant , etc....Nothing! To make sure I send a sample to another place....nothing also. They called me 2 weeks after and changed the dipstick tube for a shorter one. Result....problem solve. I did 2 oil changes since then and everything is fine! All I can say, is don`t worry about all the horrors stories like I did but put pressure on the dealer to get the problem solved!I made a big story with that problem because I was earing all kinds of bad things but.....it was as easy to fix as a dipstick!!!! LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dipstick?

Well, after reading so many accounts of people who DID get their oil tested and found dilution up to 7%, I am hoping the dealing will send some oil out for testing. It would be a great relief to hear that it is 'just' a wrong sized dipstick.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone else noticed this phenomena ?

:splat

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I would run an oil analysis on it every month until it came back with 6 in a row clear of fuel dilution.

I might even consider sending the bill to Dodge for the UOA's and the oil changes.

I am very curious to see how this trends out in the new Dodges since I have considered them as replacement work trucks for a couple of 6.0's in the fleet.

prt

·
1,224 Posts
For csavard,

I haven't had your problem but try to get your dealer to give free oil changes, will at least save $. My dealer gives free oil changes for life if you bought the vehicle from them. If they can do this for cars and trucks, why can't other dealers do this? :squish

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Results

Ok,
I picked up my truck from the dealer today and here is the scoop. They re-flashed the ECM again and said they would have to wait & see with the oil level thing. They asked that I record the temperature of the engine and the oil level for a few weeks. They said that if it continues to increase they would put some dye in to see if it is diesel fuel that is causing the increase.

I don't know about you, but I am thinking they don't know what is going on or what to do about it.

I ordered my 5" DPF delete, Juice with Att, & AFE Mega canon today from BADP. BAD has fantastic service & always called me back to answer my questions. I recommend them 100%. Nice people, knowledgeable techs !

Screw the warranty... I need a truck I can depend on.

Is this a familiar story with anyone else?

Chris
:deal:

·
38 Posts
When I get home i'm gonna check mine then, i haven't checked it since I got it over a week ago. One thing I did notice though the engine looks all oily is that normal? its all shiny and wet looking sounds and runs fine, just wondering if anyone else's engines look like this.

·
643 Posts
csavard said:
Ok,
I picked up my truck from the dealer today and here is the scoop. They re-flashed the ECM again and said they would have to wait & see with the oil level thing. They asked that I record the temperature of the engine and the oil level for a few weeks. They said that if it continues to increase they would put some dye in to see if it is diesel fuel that is causing the increase.

I don't know about you, but I am thinking they don't know what is going on or what to do about it.

I ordered my 5" DPF delete, Juice with Att, & AFE Mega canon today from BADP. BAD has fantastic service & always called me back to answer my questions. I recommend them 100%. Nice people, knowledgeable techs !

Screw the warranty... I need a truck I can depend on.

Is this a familiar story with anyone else?

Chris
:deal:

Don`t worry Mr Savard, they did the exact same with my truck, I`m not killing the result will be a minor detail like mine.And by the way we should not rely on the original oil fill up. They put 2 to 3 liters overfor breaking in the engine at the factory. Let them do your first oil change and see from there. Trust me it won`t increase anymore but if it still way up after your oil change talk to them about the tube , cummins knows about it. If you screw your warranty then you won`t have a truck you can depend on! Ah, anyway, forget it....not my business.

·
38 Posts
I checked my oil last night i was about an inch over the full line as well. I'm a fairly savy person when it comes to vehicles, this is my first diesel though. I called the dealership they told me it was because I checked a hot engine, said I needed to check a diesel when it was cold. i asked them why, he told me thats just how diesels are anyone else have any input?

·
643 Posts
bigtruck said:
I checked my oil last night i was about an inch over the full line as well. I'm a fairly savy person when it comes to vehicles, this is my first diesel though. I called the dealership they told me it was because I checked a hot engine, said I needed to check a diesel when it was cold. i asked them why, he told me thats just how diesels are anyone else have any input?

Is it the original oil? If it is don`t worry at all and leave like that.No killing guys, wait untill you get the first oil change! It`s funny because they told me the exact same but if you just hold on and think about it you should fine their mistake? If you check your oil engine cold....it has to be even highter! if your engine still warm, it has to lower and it takes a while to the oil to get down to the oil pan. So guys, don`t worry your beautiful cummins is anything but normal . If you go back in the threads some where around september or october you will find my thread wich is the exact same! Let the engine break-in and wait to your first oil change....everything is fine don`t worry!!!:rockon:

·
38 Posts
Yea its got around 700 miles right now, original oil I change the oil in my wife F250 powerstroke every 5000 miles so I'll just wait for my first 5000 and change the oil and go from there then. Thanks for the advice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts