The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older R model Mack truck. Nothing special by any accounts but it gets used often. The truck runs only a pair of group 31 top post terminal batteries and I'm wondering by moving both batteries into a single battery box on one side of the truck with 4/0 cables and terminal ends, if a small tool box or kit would be a good idea to mount on the other side? Both battery boxes are corroded and need replaced, but really don't see a need for one on each side of the truck. A small tool kit or box would readily adapt to mount into the same space in front of the fuel tank. If any are familiar with the layout of these cabs, there really isn't a lot of space for storage.

From experience what side would be best to locate the batteries, and which side for the tool box? The truck is a day cab tractor.

Thanks

·
381 Posts
The starter is on the driver side, so it makes sense to me to put the batteries on that side. I've done it on several old r600's that was used for water trucks with 1000 gal tanks. Worked fine. Didn't need the tool box on them, but you're right on about not much room for storage.Those old trucks were built to move mountains, not tools.:roflol:.JMHO.---Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts