The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me who makes the Torqshift transmission? I've heard that its an Allison. The old make and model that Chevrolet had and have since moved on to a new design. Ford bought the old design and now use it in the Super Duty. Since Ford can't use the Allison brand, they named it Torqshift. Am I correct about this or does anyone know the exact matter of fact info. :thanks:

·
2,821 Posts
The TorqShift is a Ford designed and built transmission. Nothing to do with Allison in there. Chris

·
32 Posts
The torqshift is a good tranny but has nothing to do with the also very good allison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UpstateDieselGuy said:
The TorqShift is a Ford designed and built transmission. Nothing to do with Allison in there. Chris
I was told once again by one of my diesel head buddies who has bought more diesels for his company than the average that Ford built the tranny, but it has allison blueprint all over it. Maybe he's being taken for a ride on this information. However, he's usually a very good source. I dunno!:shrug:

It feels nothing like my 99' F-350 or my 2003 F-350. It is much better. Anyone else here of this? Am I way out of the ball park?:thanks:

·
Registered
71 Posts
torqshift (5R110W) trans. is a ford trans. all the way.They are not as good in my opinion as the old 4R100.They had alot of problems in the beginning but they are always improveing.I will probrably get some smack from that comment,but that is my opinion.I figure I should have one since I have built transmissions for over 18 yrs.

·
62 Posts
I have had 6 trucks with 6.0 and the torqueshift. None let me down but about 4 of them felt like eventually they would. Hard shifts and especially hard downshifts in tow mode. It got to where I wouldn't use the tow mode anymore for fear of damage.

Now whatever they have done to this tranny mated to the 6.4 is amazing. Shifts are at the right rpm, smooth as glass when upshifting as well as downshifting in tow mode. Great engine/tranny combo in the 08.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Built, Designed and engineered (sp?) by FoMoCo. The newer 6.4 mounted Torqueshift has some revisions including a tripple lock convertor.

·
59 Posts
The torqshift transmission is an all ford design and built tranny. I loved mine in my 03 6.0. The only problem that I had was my torque converter. The original design was just not strong enough and would flex the back of the converter and eventually fail. The new tranny in the 6.4 has an updated torque converter with a billet back to prevent that from happening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts