The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys my dad has a 2000 lb open car hauler trailer and a 3000 race car plus we will say another 500 lbs of equipment. He hauls some pretty good distances and is looking for a tow vehicle. He is debating between the f150 with 3.73's or a 250 with 3.73's. He may get an enclosed gooseneck in the next couple years but thats besides the point. What kind of fuel mileage can he expect towing this type of load with either truck? I have a 6.4 350 dually I use for farming so I cant give him a fair comparison because of my gears and towing significantly heavier loads. Thanks!!:peelout

·
147 Posts
I tow a travel trailer that weighs about that with my '05 F150 and I get between 9 and 11 depending on speed (55 = 11, 70 = 9). I have the 5.4 and 3.73. I would think he could probably do a tad better than that with an open car hauler, and a tad better yet with the new 3.5L EcoBoost in the '11 F150. My truck tows fine, but that being said, if I were towing long distances, I would opt for an F250 diesel for peace of mind and more relaxed towing.

Also, if he is thinking to go goose neck in a couple years, I would go F250 unless he wants to buy another truck in a couple years.

·
16 Posts
For sure,

Wind resistance has a heck of a lot to do with it, but I'd sure tell him to get the tow package along with the 3.55 gears. Gobs of power, an exhaust brake that will stand ya on yer hatbrim and super great mileage.

Darned truck will just idle down the hiway.

Worst I've ever seen is 14.8 with my gooseneck trailer loaded clear to the nuts with horses. Sweet spot seems to be right at 64-65 mph.

This wintertime #1 fuel sure knocks 'er in the head tho...........

Allan

·
139 Posts
I have a F350 6.7 CC 4x4 with 3.55 gears and routinely pull 6500 - 7000 lbs up gravel logging roads mixed with highway and was at 14-14.5 mpgs. Variable speed and grade (up to 18%) Empty I'm at 16.9 - 17.8 at speeds around 65-70 mph.

I am happy with this fuel economy for sure. That is what the diesel is for (effortless with that weight) but is certainly more truck than the F150 when not working let alone price differential.

·
567 Posts
My truck weighs 16,500 ish... I average about 9.1-9.5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts