The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just ordered a 6" dual stack kit, and now am wondering if it is going to clear when towing our 5er? Just curious on my turning radius I was out with it the other day and it looks like it will be close, anyone had experience with this on a Crew cab Shortbox? I know pulling the gooseneck won't be an issue. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should add too I am towing with a b&W turnover hitch and companion don't know but maybe makes a difference seems to me that it sets the fifth back alittle extra.

·
2,106 Posts
being a shortbed truck, you will probably have issues. Shortbeds without stacks or headache racks come close enough that some do have issues.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
there is a 5er that is adjustable, it actually slides back when needed to make it work for campers ect.. I cant recall the name of it or who showed it to me but he is a member.

·
2,106 Posts
those are pretty sweet... Would require buying a new hitch instead of using the hitch for the B&W

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
there is a 5er that is adjustable, it actually slides back when needed to make it work for campers ect.. I cant recall the name of it or who showed it to me but he is a member.
Bill is talking about slider style hitches, Curt, Reese and others have this option but, B&W does not, I know I would mash stacks in the very first time I turned out of the driveway. I agree with who said that short bed trucks are hard enough with out stacks or headache rack, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think the stacks will work and be able to turn your 5er.

·
803 Posts
I have a Husky 5th wheel slider. Normal towing never gets close enough to my cab to be a problem even if I had stacks. Even really tight turns on the roadway are of no concern. However, parking will likely cause you an issue. That is when a slider gives you more travel by moving the hitch - back 8 - 12 inches (depending on the model of your hitch).

With the hitch in the rear most position, I can jack knife the 5th wheel and still clear the cab. You may say, why would you ever do that. Well, you haven't seen my seasonal site at the Peak. I'm tucked right up against a huge tree.

If I had stacks I couldn't do that, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I will have to wait and see I am maybe tihnking of running an electric cutout and muffler dumped for when towing then I could just unbolt my stacks and take them off for when I tow then when I get to destination throw them back on might be a pain but if I have clearence issues it may work, but thinking of the cutout forsure for noise reason on long trips towing or not

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
sidepipes

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I would remove my stacks permanently if i owned something that would hit them on a normal basis.

·
1,224 Posts
Check out the Reese Sidewinder hitch or Airborne Side Winder(has air bag suspension on hitch). It moves the pivot point 22 iches behind the 5th wheel hitch but keeps the pin weight over the rear axle. I change mine over, just waiting to hook up and get out of town.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at the sidewinder but found out not recommended to be used with the B&W Companion hitch. This is maybe another option though.
http://www.colibert.com/indexbw.asp

the one they say is compatible with the sidewinder but is really no different then the companion so don't know why the companion wouldn't be either(Competition makes the sidewinder maybe)

The other is a slider although I would like an automatic slider better,

On the other hand I make a stack kit for sale in the near future :(

·
HAYMAFIA
110 Posts
if you like stax then run them. if you want to take them off when pulling your camper do it. the stax will likely put a little soot on your camper anyway so if there removed while pulling it then no soot to clean off.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the stacks are in and the trailer was hooked up (forgot to get pics) No problems at all just driving normal and when at full turn moving forward no contact close but none. Will have to watch on dips and stuff and just going to run into problems jackknifing it but if I have to get into a site that tight and I can take the 30 seconds to just remove the stacks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts