The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a good website that shows a comparison of the towing capacity/ gvrw for the top 3 dodge, chevy, ford

differences between 3/4 and 1 ton dually and srw and different years...

or if somebody has a list

let me know what you got or if this has already been covered on this forum

·
2,063 Posts
They are all close and what will make a difference is how each vehicle is equip. You can go to each manufacture to find out what a new vehicle can be set up for. But if you combination of GVWR and trailer capacity exceed 26000 lbs you will become a CDL. In many states today tandem duals on a trailer is all it takes to be pulled over and get a ticket. We went to singles and down rated the axles to 7000 lbs each just to stay under the limit.

·
378 Posts
CDL stands for Commercial Drivers Liscense. If you are driving a vehicle pulling a trailer and both are registered in your name and you are not using it for business purposes, it can be as big as you want it to be. As long as it is registered as a private vehicle, nothing they can do.

·
2,063 Posts
CDL stands for Commercial Drivers Liscense. If you are driving a vehicle pulling a trailer and both are registered in your name and you are not using it for business purposes, it can be as big as you want it to be. As long as it is registered as a private vehicle, nothing they can do.
Wrong, just get caught and you will find out.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
In Ca, if you go over 10K GVW on you trailer then at minimum you will need a non-commercial class A. So RWS31 it does matter what you do when you are on public roads. Just because you aren't a business doesn't mean you can tow anything you want. Sorry.

Reactions: 2wpuller

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
is there a good website that shows a comparison of the towing capacity/ gvrw for the top 3 dodge, chevy, ford

To get all that info onto one web site would be a huge undertaking. With all the different configurations, upgrades throughout the years, it would be a full time job to compile all that info. The best bet is to just find the weights for the specific vehicles you are interested in.

·
378 Posts
Wrong, just get caught and you will find out.
Doesn't matter to me, Fl doesn't have the non commercial liscence crap and I have a Class A.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts

Ford is generally ahead "on paper" for towing with pickups. Ford tends to rate their trucks more liberally than GM. The thing you have to watch out for with Ford is that their trucks also weigh more than GM trucks, so payload is reduced by their empty weight.

If I were building a late model truck to tow, I would go with Dodge or GM based on their superior diesel engines and transmissions they offer ( 6 speed allison or 6 speed 68RE versus 5 speed Ford). The Dodge offers a factory exhaust brake and the GM offers manual paddle shifter on their Allison. Ford offers none of these options. GM & Dodge diesels also offer more TQ/HP down low in RPM range where you need it. IMO, Ford's last 2 diesel engines are not as good as the Cummins or DMAX based on reliability, HP/TQ and changing diesel engines so much..

Ford does offer some impressive towing specs, but make sure you read and check things for yourself and ask guys who tow for a living. All the shed delivery and hotshot guys around me with newer trucks seem to use GM or Dodge. GM for the dmax/ally/11.5" rear and Dodge for the Cummins/ex brake incredible torque.

·
2,063 Posts
Doesn't matter to me, Fl doesn't have the non commercial liscence crap and I have a Class A.
Do you keep a log? Remember when you signed for those books when you got your Class A CDL (one for just a CDL and two if you have a HAZMAT endorsement? You signed the signature page and returned it to the DMV and they keep it. If you read what you signed it said you have read and understand the regulation within. The will except no excuses from a CDL holder and you and I are responsible for keeping up with all the changes. For all the States we operate in.

I am glad to see California being proactive in control of large vehicle. I see too many vehicle not being operated safely.

·
378 Posts
Do you keep a log? Remember when you signed for those books when you got your Class A CDL (one for just a CDL and two if you have a HAZMAT endorsement? You signed the signature page and returned it to the DMV and they keep it. If you read what you signed it said you have read and understand the regulation within. The will except no excuses from a CDL holder and you and I are responsible for keeping up with all the changes. For all the States we operate in.

I am glad to see California being proactive in control of large vehicle. I see too many vehicle not being operated safely.

Your kidding, right. I have to keep a log driving my own vehicle registered to me across the country. I think not. Just because I have a CDL, not a non commercial-commercial drivers liscence, does not mean that I have to maintain a log to travel. I drove my truck, 25,500 gvw, pulling my trailer, 21K gvw, all over the country and have been stopped and have never been ask to see a log. Now when I had my own business, a trucking business, and was driving one of them, logs were required.
Several years ago I moved a friend to Merced Ca. from Fl using one of my 4700's pulling a 48ft enclosed trailer both registered to my company. I got pulled over going down the Grapevine, speeding and in the wrong lane, I just plain old wasn't paying attention to the signs. The CHP officer ask me what I was doing and I told him, going home from moving a friend to Merced. Gave him the registration and he ask for a log book. Told him I didn't have a log book cause I borrowed the truck and trailer to move a friend. He was so beffuddled he let me go and didn't write me a ticket for anything. Still can't believe it to this day.

·
395 Posts
i do not have a cdl and i can drive what ever i want as long as it is farm related, (not for hire)

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
i do not have a cdl and i can drive what ever i want as long as it is farm related, (not for hire)
True, but you are limited to a certain driving distance at certain times of the day, too.

A farm exemption does allow you to drive larger trucks, but does not give you the same bundle of rights as a CDL.

Another important thing to remember is that getting a CDL also gives you at least a minimal amount of safety training, especially on airbrakes. Even a little is better than none.
:thumbsup

·
395 Posts
True, but you are limited to a certain driving distance at certain times of the day, too.

A farm exemption does allow you to drive larger trucks, but does not give you the same bundle of rights as a CDL.

Another important thing to remember is that getting a CDL also gives you at least a minimal amount of safety training, especially on airbrakes. Even a little is better than none.
:thumbsup
there is no limit on distance,100 miles or less = daily report, over 100 miles = log book, the d.o.t. guy came on his inspection and spelled out all of the do's and dont's. more crap than i need.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
there is no limit on distance,100 miles or less = daily report, over 100 miles = log book, the d.o.t. guy came on his inspection and spelled out all of the do's and dont's. more crap than i need.
In PA they only allow a certain distance and I believe there's a regulation on time. For instance, you might not be able to drive after dark or after 10PM.

In PA a farmer doesn't have as much CDL freedom as a CDL licensed driver.

·
236 Posts
RWS is right. IF your not commercial none of the CDL / Log book rules apply. They only apply to folks getting paid. Sure, you may very well get a ticket. Just protest it through the official channels and it will be reversed. They can still ticket you for over wieght based on axle weight or tire limits. They can still get you for over dimension. So it isn't a free for all but as RWS says, CDL means Commercial. Now if you are using a semi to haul your race car to the local track your going to have a hard time convincing them it isn't commercial. If it has a sponsor name on truck or even car you are commercial. I don't know about other states but here in FL if you go to DMV, DOT, and FHP and ask them what you need to be legal you will likely get 5 different answers. In fact, if you ask 3 different folks at the same place you will get 3 or more different answers. The rules are fairly straight forward when you are for hire. When it is registered as a private vehicle all falls apart. Even if you get them to agree on the license what about the registered weight? According to a smart DOT trainer a semi loaded to 80k only needs to be registered for the empty wieght of the tractor if it is registered as a private vehicle and being used for non-commercial purpose. Makes a HUGE difference in the price of registration and insurance. DOT trainer explained it like this, a half ton pickup pulling a boat to the lake is an obvious recreational use. If it is a 1 ton pulling a 25' power boat it is no doubt the boat and trailer is over 10K but no body is going to stop it since it is recreational. Medium duty pulling 40' Fountain, same deal. Now if any of those boats have a company name on them you are now commercial and subject to DOT rules. Other states have much more strict rules. When you cross into their state their rules apply. So it isn't as simple as checking your own rules unless you plan to never leave the state.

Couple years ago FL tried to change their interpretation of CDL. Anything registered over 8K was going to require a class E CDL at the minimum. That meant every soccer mom driving a crew cab 3/4 ton or 1 ton in the state now had to have CDL's to drive to the grocery store. Don't forget to fill out your log book before you leave for the football game mom! Obviously it was repealed.

My 4700 is registered as a private motor vehicle just like a Taurus. Just happens to be a much bigger vehicle. No fuel stickers, no log book, i'm not for hire. Only hobby use and my hobby doesn't make money or have the opportunity to make money. I'm no different than a pickup headed to the lake. Now if I get stopped in another state it may be a different story. However, none Florida's neighbors can hold a candle to our number of weigh stations and inspections points the chances of even having to explain it are slim.

·
236 Posts
Bud is killing me tonight! So you right. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm
Had mine since 1987. Grandfathered in. Guess that makes me a safe CMV driver since i was able to pass the 2 page test and pay the extra money. Again, the license is the easy part. It is all that other crap for "in commerce" that takes some of the fun out of using a CMV for a hobby. However, I can register a 1 ton at 25,999 and drive it 70 MPH on the interstate loaded at 25,998 legally, but not safely. The rules do nothing for getting unsafe trucks or drivers off the road. See plenty of violations every day from folks that went to driving school, got the T-shirt and license.

Don't even get me started on the RV folks! Fellow never drove anything bigger than a Cadallac and now he has a diesel pusher RV with a Suburban in tow on the interstate with the cruise set at 75 with no training, no special license, and insurance cheaper than my pickup. Obviously the trucking industries lobby group isn't as good as the RV industry or has a goal to limit the number of truck drivers in the country.

·
1,836 Posts
Part of the argument for the commercial license WAS that it would help weed out the UN safe truck drivers, my observation - it made things worse out on the hiway.

·
229 Posts
I am glad I live in Canada. So many states so many different rules. One would hope that things should be standardized. I heard that Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta were working on standardizing weights, dimensions, inspections etc. Having so many different rules causes confusion, costs $$$$ and inhibits trade. Safety is probably sacrificed because too much time is wasted looking up rules instead of checking equipment. Getting politicians to use common sense and do the right thing is almost non-existant.

I farm/ranch and don't need a class 1 licence unless the truck and trailer have air brakes. Don't need a Class 3 for straight truck on the farm either. Some RVers should have a class 1 (trailer over 10,000lbs). They don't have to cross scales. I can burn dyed diesel in my KW's too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts