The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this..
I am going to start hauling bottled water long-term come summer with my 2007 2500HD Silverado Diesel 4x4 standard box crew cab that has 205k,

I plan on buying a 14' cargo trailer with a tag hitch, travel on mostly highway, but a bit of grid as well, I plan on hauling the 5 gallon bottles (approx. 43lbs each) and as much as i can without harming the truck.

Problem is, I have no idea how much I can tow without harming the truck or what steps to take to ensure I get the most life out of this truck.

To be honest I don't know much when it comes to GVWR's and all that, so I was wondering what people with experience in this matter have to say,
what weight can this truck handle as far as the weight of a trailer and cargo inside the trailer?, also should i be worried about the trucks capability of this type of work?

Any opinions regarding this post will be GREATLY appreciated?

Also, I "THINK" the trailer capacity is around 12 or 13k, I cant seem to make out what the tag says on the inner door as far as weight capacities go.

Thanks Folks,

·
3,533 Posts
You want to find out for sure what the trailers capacity is even if you have to take it to a repair facility or phone and ask. Measure the pipe diameter of the axles, size of the brake drum, number of wheel lugs size and capacities of the tires.
The first couple of loads you do not want to load it to heavy, and change your oil more often, in the diffs, engine, and transmission. Until you are familiar with the areas you need to go and how it handles. Do you have a bumper pull or a goose neck, what is the rating of your truck and it's tires. Check you hitch that it is large enough for what you want to do.
Be sure you are licenced properly, and have the trailer inspected, bearings and brakes wiring, frame everything.
Just a thought!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts