The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some mileage to expect towing. I have a 01 standard output, 5speed, 4x4. I need to tow a 40 foot fifth wheel. Dry weight of 22,000lbs. I have not towed anything this large with this truck yet and have no idea of what to expect. This will be a paying job so I need to be close on my estimates.

·
400 Posts
What kind of terrian are you expecting?

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some hills. Rolling hills, not really any big climbs. Mostly going to a lower elevation. 1 Hill might slow me down a bit. Nothing that will work it too hard. I guess 22,000lbs plus personal stuff will work it a bit.

·
400 Posts
Never having towed this much myself the worst i've ever got towing is 13 MPG.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was it you towed?

·
409 Posts
9 mpg or so

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
My lowest MPG record of all was 14.1 MPG... But I don't know if I was 22K# of weight though...

Most likely not...

·
409 Posts
I tow about the same weight as that with my truck and I usually get about 9-10 mpg +/-

my Ford got about 8

·
274 Posts
My mods are in the sig. towing about 27k I get around 8 with what your towing i wouldn't expect more that 10.....it's gonna suck.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I won't know what I get. The guy got someone else to do it. I think for free. Only thing that gets me hot about it is that I know the other guy who towed it.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, but think of it this way, 22k is a good bit of weight, thats putting your pick up through quite a bit of stress, and now you don't have to. It does suck if you needed the extra cash though.
Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts