The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new to the diesel performance scene, so i have a couple of questions. I've got everything done to the truck in my sig. I pull a 48ft enclosed gooseneck quite frequently for work. The truck pulls it pretty good, but I was wondering if there was a better set up that i could go to to be able to pull it better(ie. different chip or box). There are just times that I wish I had a little more grunt. Possibly would a particular set of injectors and a turbo get me what i'm looking for?

Thanks, Steven

·
6,337 Posts
Your at about the limit with the stock injectors and turbo, so I would say yes thats a correct line of thought, You could add pro-pain, but it has its ups and downs. You could add a water injection kit, do you have issues with towing in the higher HP programs? I can pull up to about 10,000+ on the trailer with my 125 setting and have no EGT issues...

I added a GTP-38r a few months ago, but have not been happy with the surge and oil leaks... I would look at a Spearco or HTTP turbo, cheaper and can be rebuild.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what i was thinking.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I normally pull our 48'er on the 75 setting. EGT's run about 1000 at 85 or 90 as long as i'm not pulling a steep hill.

·
6,337 Posts
97stroker said:
sounds like u need a peterbuilt or maybe a kenworth pulling a 48 ft trailer

He's quite fine pulling that trailer with a F-350-450. Its not the length, but the weight.

Sounds like your doing fine!!! Add some water if you want, I love my kit.

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
The spearco is a great CAC. You will love the difference. I installed a 6.0 version since it is bigger

wftree

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EGT is post turbo. I bought the truck from a friend who had already installed it that way. I haven't fixed that issue yet, but i will soon.

·
6,337 Posts
MOVE THAT EGT!!! You are well into the danger area!!! Holy crap!!! I have a melted piston out of my 99 fro running a Post turbo EGT at 900... I use it as a pen holder now... a $3000 pen holder.

Get some water injection, a CAC, and or a BB turbo. And not to beat it to death, MOVE THE PROBE...

Attachments

·
361 Posts
CSIPSD said:
MOVE THAT EGT!!! You are well into the danger area!!! Holy crap!!! I have a melted piston out of my 99 fro running a Post turbo EGT at 900... I use it as a pen holder now... a $3000 pen holder.

Get some water injection, a CAC, and or a BB turbo. And not to beat it to death, MOVE THE PROBE...
CSIPSD,
Remind me never to buy one of those. :thanks: :Thumbup:

That does look nice on the desk though................

·
Registered
49 Posts
GotSmoke? said:
EGT is post turbo. I bought the truck from a friend who had already installed it that way. I haven't fixed that issue yet, but i will soon.

isnt that where its suppose to be???

·
6,337 Posts
Ponis said:
isnt that where its suppose to be???

No, you must have your pyro pre-turbo. In the manifold or up pipes. Your watching EGT's to protect the motor, not the turbo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
are thoser pictures from underneath the truck or from up top..? im worried about the metal shavings messing stuff up when i drill it like that

·
6,337 Posts
Those pics are from under the truck looking up, That is a pre turbo install.

Dont worry about the shavings, have you ever seen anything fall up? Any small shavings that would get into the manifold will blow right thru... No grease, no mag, no vacumn... Just do it!!! Done four trucks myself this way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks, makes sense lol..... now what about the trans temp??? i see pictures of the stock trans. would it be the same for the suncoast trans?

·
6,337 Posts
Same spot, test port drivers side, by the wire harness.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for all the help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts