The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new turbo. I drive the truck everyday and just tow with it. I was thinking the BD special. Something is a 62/14. That is what i read is a good turbo. Also where should i go to get it? Is it true that the stock head gasket can only take 45psi of boost and the head studs can take 55pis of boost?

Thanks

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
BD Super B is a 57/65/14, as is the S300G and Scheid Lightning turbo. All three are fast spooling towing turbos, good for abour 40, maybe 45 psi. A PhatShaft 62 will spool fast (62/65/12, 45psi) but a Super PhatShaft 62 (62/71/14) will have better exhaust flow, lower drive pressure, and lower EGT's than a PhatShaft. I noticed you have an auto tranny, how tight/loose is your converter? A friend of mine with a CR has a built auto, intake, exhaust, a Smarty, and a SPS 62, his TC is set a little looser and he loves towing with it.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BD Super B is a 57/65/14, as is the S300G and Scheid Lightning turbo. All three are fast spooling towing turbos, good for abour 40, maybe 45 psi. A PhatShaft 62 will spool fast (62/65/12, 45psi) but a Super PhatShaft 62 (62/71/14) will have better exhaust flow, lower drive pressure, and lower EGT's than a PhatShaft. I noticed you have an auto tranny, how tight/loose is your converter? A friend of mine with a CR has a built auto, intake, exhaust, a Smarty, and a SPS 62, his TC is set a little looser and he loves towing with it.

It's hard saying cause the truck is getting a rebuild in one week on the tranny. All new parts. The stock turbo is all jacked up and i just read in the mags that a 62/14 is good for towing. IS there any place i should call?

·
2,063 Posts
Let me get this straight you are running 40 hp injectors and a fuel box and that is all the fuel you have added. Then rebuild your HX35.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me get this straight you are running 40 hp injectors and a fuel box and that is all the fuel you have added. Then rebuild your HX35.
My EGT's hit 1500 when I'm on it. I Hit 35 pounds of boost. I don't think a rebuild will do it.

Reactions: gnirps1965

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the BD super special?

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
What about the BD super special?
The Super B Special is a 64/71/14. That's getting pretty big for towing, unless like I said you have a loose TC to get some air moving before you really load the engine.

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts

·
2,063 Posts
It said 4" pipe, that could be a 4 inch down pipe or almost anything.

I am just going to leave you two alone after all you know it all.

·
121 Posts
i would say the regular super b would be alright for your truck if its the same as the lightning thats what my dad has on his i dont now about the converter being loose or tight he just has a suncoast converter and tranny rv 275s edge juice with attitude fass 150 bhaf and a 4inch mbrp exhaust

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you still running a stock exhaust system?
I have a 4" pipe straight back form the turbo. No cat and no muffler.

I was thinking of getting 90hp or 110hp injector a little later. I don't want to get to crazy with the truck. I just want the thing to tow 18,000 lb's like it's nothing up hill. I can always get a smarty later for more fuel but then i would need something more then my BD aug pump. I think its good up to 600 HP. I would like to be in the 500 HP range. I just don't know what turbo to get and if i need to head work. Meaning the studs and gaskets. I really don't want to do that.

Plus the truck runs really hot when i'm on it.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i just found out that i'm getting a Smarty WED for Xmass. So i now have a smarty.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i put the Smarty on the truck. Damn that thing kicks ***. I really happy with it. I'm thinking of getting the Phat 62 turbo.

·
454 Posts
He might want to add a FASS pump in there too because it don't look like he has one from what I am reading. Gotta protect that VP44.

·
Its Cute Aint it!!
684 Posts
Hes got bd pump. My buddy had that with some 100s and drag comp with ht3b with hx 35 and truck run well. It pulled like a monster. After he got all the parts he put twins together for about 1800 or so. Thats another route you could go. It wont be laggy and have plenty of air. You would need studs at the least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts