The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 66 pass. bus that I am converting into a camper. It is built on the International 3800 chassis. I plan on towing a car trailer with it. My concern is the amount of overhang with a 66 pass. bus. Will this throw a typical car trailer around too much, so to speak? What about tongue weight? The hitch will have a LOT of leverage due to how far it is from the axle. Do any of you think this will be a concern? Anyway, here is a pic of it. Let me know your thoughts.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
need more info on trailer.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a trailer yet, but I will be looking for a tandem axle car trailer. Weight will likely be well under 10,000lbs(trailer, rock crawler, and gear). Length will prolly be around 16-18'. I'm just talking about a typical car trailer that would be towed behind a pickup.

·
44 Posts
I dont know how much overhang you have but i have a 36 foot class a rv and i was thinking the same thing as you but i tow a 28 foot car trailer with no problem. The bakc of the frames on most rv's dont look the beefyest but i havent had a problem yet.

Alex

Reactions: JakeC

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably have around 10' of overhang, maybe a little less. That helps though, thanks! Not to worried about the frame, my rails run all the way to the back...LOTS of beef:)!!

·
1,836 Posts
I have towed with a Bounder MH and if the trailer is not well mannered the leverage really bites. My cure was a Reese hitch with sway cams.

You will have to secure stuff because of the amount of bounce is more than a pickup, my toolbox fretted a spot in the floor.

keydl

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have heard good things about the Trailer Toad, which provides another set of wheels to take the tongue load.

Way back in the 1980's, I knew a guy who raced in Super-Gas, and had a similar bus for a tow rig. He carved up the back of the bus and made a semi-open "garage" back there, and drove the car up there. Wish I had taken photos, it was REALLY redneck!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I need to be able to do this without carving up the bus, since it's getting turned into a camper. I'll have to look at the sway cams.

·
13 Posts
Weight distributing and sway controlling hitch is what you need, as was said, but keep the trailer as light as possible. The leverage really is a killer. Another thing to consider is that even without a trailer the back of a school bus can come real close to the ground going in and out of driveways, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts