The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to finally tow a load with the 310, and I am very surprised how well it did.
My main priorities were to keep oil temps and EGTs in check.
The road was somewhat flat, temps around 68 degrees and about 4K inside of my 26' enclosed trailer.

The oil temps stayed around 204 max at 75 mph and EGTs were never a problem as long as I didn't squash the gas to the floor, which I wouldn't do anyway.
It seems the pedal had two responses. If you use only half, there is more than enough power to tow, while not abusing a thing. From half way to the floor may twist the transmission right out of the truck, so I didn't go there at all. I really didn't need to..

Shifts were purrrfect...

I don't check mileage because I really don't care, but the lie-o-meter said about 15, so we can guess from there..

·
124 Posts
I had the opportunity to finally tow a load with the 310, and I am very surprised how well it did.
My main priorities were to keep oil temps and EGTs in check.
The road was somewhat flat, temps around 68 degrees and about 4K inside of my 26' enclosed trailer.

The oil temps stayed around 204 max at 75 mph and EGTs were never a problem as long as I didn't squash the gas to the floor, which I wouldn't do anyway.
It seems the pedal had two responses. If you use only half, there is more than enough power to tow, while not abusing a thing. From half way to the floor may twist the transmission right out of the truck, so I didn't go there at all. I really didn't need to..

Shifts were purrrfect...

I don't check mileage because I really don't care, but the lie-o-meter said about 15, so we can guess from there..
This is encouraging. My mileage empty with the 275hp is great. I figure I'll leave the 275hp tune in place, and monitor gages closely when towing this weekend.

I don't check mileage because I really don't care, but the lie-o-meter said about 15, so we can guess from there..[/QUOTE]

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Thanks for the report. Good to hear.

And we all know how accurate the LOM is...I'm betting it does fine on MPG - whatever the numbers are.

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
George C - Great post! What were your max egt's???? Now we need someone to try 10,000 plus.... Not really George, even tho on flat ground it would probably do ok....

·
25 Posts
George C - Great post! What were your max egt's???? Now we need someone to try 10,000 plus.... Not really George, even tho on flat ground it would probably do ok....
If I had the tune I would try it! I come in at 38,000 truck and trailer.:thumbsup

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
For some reason my liometer is always stuck on around 11.2 but when i beat on it for a while it goes up? Its like the more it smokes the better fuel mileage im getting. Like that could be possible.

·
773 Posts
Mine seems to be pretty much right on :shrug

·
370 Posts
My boat on the trailer weighs 10-11k. Have two car hauler that weighs 17-18k loaded. I will try and tow with the 310 and post results if I can get the file somewhere, somehow

·
169 Posts
Pulled the other day from Edmonton to 160km north east on Fort Macmurry Canada total trip was 650km pulled it with the 310 tune - Thought it was better then pulling with the 275 temp was just a little higher but not to wry bout anything.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I dunno about pulling but this last weekend I drove about a 400 mile round trip..highway only and with the 310v2 I got 18.2mpg running 75-85 on my 38's using the GPS for accurate mileage...thats pretty damn impressive

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
is that just flat highway driving or would there be hills down there also???

·
Whipersnapper
681 Posts
I dunno about pulling but this last weekend I drove about a 400 mile round trip..highway only and with the 310v2 I got 18.2mpg running 75-85 on my 38's using the GPS for accurate mileage...thats pretty damn impressive
What RPM's were you turning to get that?

·
Registered
639 Posts
My truck runs 2000rpm at 82mph.

I will add that I have always gotten about 17 or so on a highway trip with the Spartan 250 and up tunes. I average about 13.5 give or take every week with mixed driving...most of that being in town.

·
Whipersnapper
681 Posts
My truck runs 2000rpm at 82mph.

I will add that I have always gotten about 17 or so on a highway trip with the Spartan 250 and up tunes. I average about 13.5 give or take every week with mixed driving...most of that being in town.
Damn my truck turns 2100rpm at 65mph but your numbers seem dead on with what I get at the slower speed.

Have you noticed any dead spots for a cruising speed? Or is thus just balls out GTFO of the way, I am coming through!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts