The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just towed my fifthwheel home from the campground where we had it for the summer. trailer weighs about 9500-10000 lbs with our stuff in it. first time i towed it with my 02' duramax. truck is stock(for now). when i hit the highway i began cruising at about 65-70 mph. truck worked okay. rpm's at about 2000. when i hit any hills tranny downshifted and rpms went to close to 3000 and stayed there until we crested the hill. truck more or less maintained it's speed. i had tow mode engaged as well. for anyone out there who tows does this sound like normal operation? first diesel truck for me, so i'm just curious......... i was using the cruise control most of the time as well.
any comments would be greatly appreciated.:smoke

·
3,754 Posts
its a v-8 diesel, torque curve is higher then inline 6. Put it in t/h and let it work. As long as the trans isnt getting too hot or constantly shifting back and forth dont worry abou ***.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thejdman04 said:
its a v-8 diesel, torque curve is higher then inline 6. Put it in t/h and let it work. As long as the trans isnt getting too hot or constantly shifting back and forth dont worry abou ***.
the only time the tranny downshifts is when going up a hill. once we crest the hill it upshifts back into high gear. tranny temp didn't get to 95 degrees.
just not used to a diesel.........different beast..........:thanks:

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
That is normal operation but here is a hint ... The trans will not down shift if you stay above 70MPH.. Set the cruse at 71-72 and as long as you dont drop below 70 it will not down shift. if the Hill is large and it does drop below 70 yes this is normal for the trans to shift and rpm's jump way up .

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
its normal for that truck its just the alliy doing what it does best

·
Registered
223 Posts
Or you can buy a mild chip and that will go away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stacked6600 said:
That is normal operation but here is a hint ... The trans will not down shift if you stay above 70MPH.. Set the cruse at 71-72 and as long as you dont drop below 70 it will not down shift. if the Hill is large and it does drop below 70 yes this is normal for the trans to shift and rpm's jump way up .
thanks for the tip, Stacked6600. I'll try that next time I tow. As usual you guys are a wealth of knowledge.........cheers!:thanks:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
paul1987 said:
Or you can buy a mild chip and that will go away.
i was thinking of buying a mild tuner but it kind of scares me. don't want to fry the ally........ a buddy of mine who is a mechanic says to keep it stock(boring...). that way you won't break things. i can see his point, but i wouldn't mind a little bit more towing power(especially when we go to new hampshire through the white mountains!!):smoke

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
When i am towing anything close or over 10K i run a 40HP Tow tune. It does make a difference. And it is such a small tune that it will not effect the trans. :Thumbup:

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
I would buy an exhaust an intake at first, and then a mild chip or tuner, like Diablosport Predator, or PPE Economy.

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
Dieselson said:
I would buy an exhaust an intake at first, and then a mild chip or tuner, like Diablosport Predator, or PPE Economy.
He is correct. :Thumbup: Agreed

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
Jdmax, consider doing something about IAT. If your fan is coming on, then it will shoot right up, and you will lose a bunch of towing power. Do some research in cold air intakes, it is GM's biggest weakness in design.

Tip: a box labeled "cold air intake" does not make it so.

·
16 Posts
I run my '03 with a Hypertech set on #3 towing a 10,000# 5er and find the performance just right for my needs. And most of my towing is done in the mountains here in BC, Canada. Never yet overheated the tranny. Keep it around 60 - 65 mph most of the time. It will still shift down on the bigger hills but this is very normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.