The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I am loving this truck! I am, however, fighting with the TPMS. I have the fronts set at 65 and the rears set at 70 and I am getting the warning light and message every time I start the truck. The factory calls for 65 front and 80 rear. There is no way in hell that I am running 80 in the rears when I am not towing! I am also looking to get some bigger meats and don't want to fight with the damn light. I am going to see what can be done to reset the values by IDS at Ford.

Chris

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
i went through this a good bit when i got my truck. i got mine to work reliably following this sequence - don't know if it's necessary, but it works for me:

1. set all tires to desired pressure (somewhere above 62 psi)
  2. turn key on and hit hazards on/off 6 times (3 cycles)
  3. adjust tire pressure each tire as indicated
  4. once complete, top each tire pressure back off to desired setting BEFORE turning off truck/removing key
  5. lastly, turn off truck
  6. turn truck on to verify message is gone

like i said, about the only thing that worked for me. i think the important part is to top the pressure back off to keep the warning away. don't know that this must be done w/ the truck still on, but that's how i've been doing it. consistent for me now.

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am willing to try anything at this point. Did you have the pressures already set before hand or did you raise it to the desired pressure while the process was under way? Thanks again, Chris

·
10 Posts
I had to set my tires back to 65/80 and run them for a day or so to get the light to turn off. After that I retrained the computer (page 236 of the owner's manual) so that it thinks the fronts are in the back and the backs in the front. I now run my tires at 62 front and 52 back. From what I've heard the sensor will come on if the tires get below 75% of recommended pressures so 49psi and 60. So, I'm a few psi above the limits and haven't had the light come on for over 1000 miles.

·
139 Posts
I had mine re calibrated by the tire shop when I bought new/larger tires. Set all four at the same time.

Most reputable shops should have the tool.

If not, the manual does tell you how to re-set.

·
10 Posts
I had mine re calibrated by the tire shop when I bought new/larger tires. Set all four at the same time.

Most reputable shops should have the tool.

If not, the manual does tell you how to re-set.
The only thing the manual tells you how to do is tell the computer which tire is where on the vehicle. You can not adjust the pressure thresholds at home.

·
54 Posts
Well my opinion is the TPMS is crazy! - lol - Check this out...I got my 22" Fuel Off Road rims and 37" MTs...Cant mount them until my lift comes in...but the rim shop took the sensors out of my stock tires and mounted in the new set-up - I told them I would deal with the light until the lift came in...So I have my stock rims/tires on currently with no sensors...I drove home with no warning light...Next day i got the low pressure light on and I got it everytime I started the truck for about a day or so...but for the last almost 2 weeks I have had no light come on at all!! :) Do you think the truck learns???

·
139 Posts
The only thing the manual tells you how to do is tell the computer which tire is where on the vehicle. You can not adjust the pressure thresholds at home.
Going by my "Super Duty 2011 Owners Guide", starting at the bottom of page 237 "performing the TPMS Reset Procedure" it tells you how to reset the tire pressure including the hazard flasher on and off 3 times, horn souding when re-setting the pressures etc. Have a read to page 239 for the final "Training Complete" paragraph.

I have used it and it's a bit cumbersome but works. Now I just go to my tire dealer and he has a digital unit that re-calibrates the pressures to the desired settings. Still has to do the flasher sequence.

·
10 Posts
Going by my "Super Duty 2011 Owners Guide", starting at the bottom of page 237 "performing the TPMS Reset Procedure" it tells you how to reset the tire pressure including the hazard flasher on and off 3 times, horn souding when re-setting the pressures etc. Have a read to page 239 for the final "Training Complete" paragraph.

I have used it and it's a bit cumbersome but works. Now I just go to my tire dealer and he has a digital unit that re-calibrates the pressures to the desired settings. Still has to do the flasher sequence.
I misunderstood you. In your other post you mentioned recalibrating and re-setting. I agree that you can reset the sensors and train their new locations per page 237.

You also mention that your tire dealer can re-calibrate the pressures. Are you referring to changing the TPMS threshold values in the computer? It is my understanding that only the Ford deal can do this with their IDS tool.

·
139 Posts
I misunderstood you. In your other post you mentioned recalibrating and re-setting. I agree that you can reset the sensors and train their new locations per page 237.

You also mention that your tire dealer can re-calibrate the pressures. Are you referring to changing the TPMS threshold values in the computer? It is my understanding that only the Ford deal can do this with their IDS tool.
No not on the computer, just the re-learn to the new pressures.

·
10 Posts
No not on the computer, just the re-learn to the new pressures.
So it's basically just forcing the TPMS to relearn the new/current pressures instead of just waiting for the system to check on it's own which in my experience can take a day or two.

·
2 Posts
I had my windows tinted yesterday on my 2011 Super Duty. They had a sign up saying that if the vehicle is equipped with TPMS, they need to use a different type of tint. I have never heard this before and I have had 3 or 4 vehicles equipped with TPMS. I don't know how it would or why I haven't heard that before, but that might be affecting your TPMS. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts