The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy a trailer to haul my numerous projects around. It seems that every trailer I look at just seems to short. Well after a long search I found a 36 footer that hooks up to a ball hitch. It has LED lights and was custom made by a credible manufacture in Tuscon, AZ. I restore British cars ( Triumphs, MG’s ) and VW Beetles so I wont be hauling tractors and earthmovers. My truck is a 1999 F350, 7.3L, single wheel, crew cab, 8 foot bed, with a 6 speed trans. I have a bigger waste gate in the turbo, Edge programmer with Juice, KN Airbox, 4” duel turbo to tip MSRP exhaust, and a sagging 8 inch rancho lift running on 35” BF Goodies.

Here is where the advice is. Will towing this trailer give me the fuel consumption close to a 1980’s RV. Im looking at this for long trips on open highways.

Also I was thinking of upgrading to semi wheels (8-10 lug adapters, 22.5 wheels, 275 X 90 tires)

So the questions are will this trailer be a burden causing me to loose my mind a the pump?

Will upgrading to semi wheels throw things off even more?

Should I stick with the 35” tires I have now or change to something else?

The previous owners took the axle off of a pop camper and mounted to the front of the trailer and then parked their 4 wheelers on the remaining space. They towed it with a surplus Military Chevy with a 6.2L not turbo and said it wasn’t a burden at all on the open road. So I was thinking of doing the same thing when not hauling cars which makes this purchase justifiable to my significant other...

Any advice other than selling my truck and buying a Dodge, GM, or Chevy would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
What sort of fuel economy are you seeing now? And what are you looking for in terms of "fuel consumption close to a 1980’s RV"?

I can't see where the 22.5's will hurt you if you go with a highway rib tire, but it might look a little weird with that 8" lift. Consider dropping it to a 2-4" or so to clear the tires.

Open up that intake a little more with either a DIY intake or an AFE Stage 2 and seriously think about getting a custom economy tune on a different chip.

prt

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Seeing as how a 1980s RV got like 5 MPG, unless you run the hell out of your PSD, you'll be getting better mileage than that.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What sort of fuel economy are you seeing now? And what are you looking for in terms of "fuel consumption close to a 1980’s RV"?

I can't see where the 22.5's will hurt you if you go with a highway rib tire, but it might look a little weird with that 8" lift. Consider dropping it to a 2-4" or so to clear the tires.

Open up that intake a little more with either a DIY intake or an AFE Stage 2 and seriously think about getting a custom economy tune on a different chip.

prt
I dont think removing my 8 inch lift and replacing it with a 4 inch is something Im willing to do. The comment about the 80's RV was a comical reference...meaning if I use this trailer will I get at least 10-12 miles per gallon or will I be stopping for fuel every 20 feet. The only trailers I have ever hauled are the late 70's early 80's monsters at the Uhaul down the street. They are terrible and feel like Im dragging something instead of towing it on a trailer. Right now I get 12-14 on the highway crusing at 65-75MPH.

·
1,240 Posts
with a lift you will want to go with a gooseneck if you're not too high, mine works fine with 4" and 35's and a friend tows one with 6" and 37's. With a tow behind you get alot of sway also with the gooseneck you can turn around better and it's easier to park.

·
1,240 Posts
i just finished reading all of your post, my mpg's were better towing with my 7.3L than they are with my 6.0L. with about 22k lbs cvw my 7.3 on the hwy got around 13 at 65-70mph. but like I said b4, you might get a sway with the lift and a pull behind that long. it's not hard to make pull hehind into a gooseneck. You'll just need to figure out what tows best and how. I'd say stick with the 35's or go bigger but bigger wheels too for less sway. Also you've got to think stopping too so if you go with larger tires and wheels you have more rotating mass so you'll need more braking power. It might not be a bad idea to upgrade anyway seeing that ur on 35's and towing a large trailer.

·
1,240 Posts
likw he said though, he wished it were gooseneck. iddk, I just love the way a gooseneck turns and tows, alot safer imo. plus you don't get that bad bounce you do from a tow behind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you have a broken trailer spindle, one of our trained mobile machinists comes to your location to make the repair. We perform trailer spindle replacements on-site and perform jobs all over Northern California, Central California, the San Francisco Bay Area and the Sacramento Valley. All repairs performed by Axle Surgeons® of California, Inc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts