The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try switching a couple wires I think might be backwards but its late and wanted to see what you guys thought.

6-pin trailer to 7-pin hitch all the trailer lights work, but the brake controller says not connected, using tekonsha prodigy p2.

·
391 Posts
Obviously you have some kind of wiring problem. I had a similar problem hooking my trailers up to a buddy's truck last year. His truck had a factory 7 pin. All my small trailers are 6 pin. I discovered that there are two different pin configurations on 6 pin connectors. One of them has brake on the center pin, the other has it on one of the other pins on the outside. We had to buy a different brand adapter to make it work. Check brake pin configurations between the trailer and adapter.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Center pin should be back up lights on the 7 way. One of the outside pins is brake power on 7 way. Sounds like wiring issue

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the outside pins on the 7pin for the brakes is onnected to the brake wire on the 6 pin. All of the wires for lights are in their correct spots.

Should the magnets be grounded together or to the trailer.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts

On the all plugs link be care to make sure you follow the blade style plug for your 7 RV

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly enough, Ive seen those and several others. And the pins from the truck match up to the wires in an adapter 7(truck) to 6(trailer) and the to the trailer plug. I'm starting to wonder if the controller is faulty?

I know second bet would be to just have a shop rewire it?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also the 7way is the molded kind not RV for more info. Thanks guys

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
can you hook up to another trailer that will plug into you 7 way and pull it around. Next thing is to get a test light or meter and start checking your wires. I would say check the wires to the brakes on the trailer. If the controller is flashing NC I would say if everything is hooked up correctly then the brake wire is broke. It would have a short and say something about voltage if it were the magnets. (thats how my prodigy is) Check your wires and see what you come up with. Also have you thought about putting a 7 way on the trailer to cut out the extra connections?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry it took so long, ran the trailer with just lights for our trip all went well. Works been so busy I havent gotten to it yet.

Yeah its flashing NC. Havent gotten a test light to check wires or anything yet. Changing the plug to a 7pin hasnt come across my mind yet until you asked. It probably wouldnt be a bad idea for me to rewire it. It looks as if the previous owner took a 4way wire run (brown, green yellow and white) ran that for lights and then used another wire for the brake power and grounded the two together.

I'll see if I can find somebody that has a 7pin that would let me check that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts