The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 21' trailer which has what looks to be a 1and a half inch bar on the back that holds the fold down ramps. My "kids in law" loaned it out and YES! you guessed it, something broke. The bar holding the ramps got bent. My question is, when I go to find a new one? What type/kind of steel am I looking for so this doesn't happen again? It's a nice heavy duty trailer I inherited, needs a new bed ( 2x8"s on it now and I'm thinking of getting someone to just put steel on it.) fold down ramps, 2-5/16 ball on it. Tandem axle and I haul my New Holland 3930 Tractor on it. And the occasional car. Like I said, a good sturdy trailer, till that ramp bar thing. May as well add this in. I got my bushhog blades sharp, now whats the best paint to redo all my other farm equipment? Just surface rust but I want something that will last. Thank you my friends for any input. John

·
1,224 Posts
If you are worried about it breaking again, just use next size thicker or use 2 inch bar. Without a picture I assume the bar holds the ramps up during travel. No special steel needed.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops. pics

Attachments

·
1,836 Posts
Use 2 in thickwall or 1/4 wall shelby tubing. Hot rolled is OK or pipe.

Mine is 1 1/2 pipe filled with cement and with ridged stays at 45 deg so the ramps stand straight.

The appearence is that the ramp was pushed forward to bend the hinge. That makes the leverage high.

keydl

Reactions: nevrknow

·
236 Posts
Most of those are just sch. 40 pipe. Cheap, easy to replace. Better for it to bend than do more serious damage.

·
Haulin' Hay
565 Posts
As far as the paint for your bushhog goes, I'm into fixing up older farm equipment, and have always had great success with using the gallon and quart sized oil based tractor paints from Tractor Supply Co.

They spray easily, and hold up wonderfully. I just restored an older bushhog and sprayed it with 'Kubota Orange' and it looks great.

I see you're from Aiken -- I'm from just below Charlotte...

·
2,106 Posts
If it is pipe now, replace it with solid bar of the same size... Upgrading size will be a PITA.

And another mod you should do....
Where the chains are on those ramps, get a piece of 1/4"x1 1/2" flat bar to replace them. Drill 1/2" hole one each end, weld bolts to trailer and to ramps. The object of this is to have the ramps not bouncing around while in transit.
Also on the ramps, weld in a piece of pipe for the round bar to go through that goes the full width of the ramp. This helps distribute the weight better across the round bar.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Personally i would cut the center support and move it over and add another one as well. If you need them that close together you need a smaller trailer LOL..when we load small things we just put plywood between them. This will help distribute the load and the likely hood of bending anything will go way down. Like said just get some sold bar stock or much thicker walled tube.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent points and all taken. Thanks friends. I'm going out this week to finally work on it. I'll keep posting with I'm sure more questions. Move the flanges to redistribute the weight, bigger bar. The chains will be gone. Now for the decking.....DAMM that trailer laminated stuff is HIGH!!!!

·
4,827 Posts
Solid shaft will most likely be cheaper than sch. 40 pipe as well. It is around here anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts