The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to my manual trailer weight max on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks max out at around 14k. Depending if it is 2wd or 4wd.So when I read that someone is towing 15k or 16k are they considered unsafe and illeagle or am I reading the manual wrong?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
lilpooh said:
according to my manual trailer weight max on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks max out at around 14k. Depending if it is 2wd or 4wd.So when I read that someone is towing 15k or 16k are they considered unsafe and illeagle or am I reading the manual wrong?
If it's off the rear, yes, they're overloaded. If it's off a 5th wheel hitch, then you can tow more, so it might be OK. So it depends on where the hitch is.

Only small truck I know of that has a factory rating of 15-16 off the bumper is a F-450/550.

·
3,754 Posts
IT is illeagle and unsafe as said above depeinding on the hitch set up. Many tow way more then the manufactures rate these trucks for

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've seen a lot of 2000# loads that are unsafe.........Like Duke said, it all depends- There are are a ton of variables inolved in towing: the bottom line of it though is not to exceed YOUR truck's GCWR and GCWR, and whatever you're towing, pull it responsibly- slower speed, more following distance, wider, slower turns, etc.

Look at the label on the inside of your driver's door-it will have all the numbers you need to determine the max. trailer you can haul with your truck... GCWR minus GVWR equals max. trailer weight you can pull based on the equip. and design limitations of your vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts