The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 f250 auto 2wd has 255k miles. Never have changed the tranny fluid and today I felt it slip a little. Fluid is a little low and brown. No burn smell just old dirty. What should I replace it with or should I have it flushed at the oil change place?

·
63 Posts
First top it off with whats already in the trans or what the Ford calls for.

(2) NEVER!, NEVER!, NEVER!, NEVER!, EVER! let the quick lube place touch a transmision! They are not trained to make the necessary adjustments needed in a proper trans tuneup.

(3) With that many miles I recomend you have a fluid analysis done. I recomend Shell Oil Analysis they will test your fluid, you get a report card telling you what is actualy in your fluid and recomend the approiate action or fluid .

(4) When you have that many miles on the trans and fluid you can kill the transmision by changing the fluid. If topping the trans off dosent solve the slipping drain the trans lube, replace the filter only reuse the old fluid fo now untill you get test results back.

(5) If you dont have the time, tools, shop, or know how take it to a real transmission shop. BTW I dont recomend doing any transmision work outside they need to stay verry clean inside.

Bob Wolf.

·
3,533 Posts
Bob I will disagree, I would look at the dipstick and see were the oil level is when shut down, change the filter, clean the pan and magnet, assemble it, add new fluid, adding the same volume you drained or to the level on the dipstick it was at when shut down, start it up and adjust level properly. If when you take the pan off, there is brass in the pan, that is not a good sign.

·
32 Posts
I agree with John drain fluid new filter leave TC alone and replace fluid bring it back up to level you started with and after driving and getting temps up to normal top top it off. And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let the sell you the transmission flush job this is normally a rebuild waiting to happen. Just my .02. Good luck and post back and let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts