The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there change their own transmission fluid?? I know that pulling the drain plug will only drain the fluid that is in the pan, not in the torque converter........... how much fluid do you get to change by doing this??:thanks:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
8 quarts for pan fill. I would use either Castrol Transyd (available at an Allison dealer cheaper than a GM dealer), or Amsoil Torque Drive. I had Torque Drive in my old truck and it made a noticable differance in the way the trans handled itself.

Tony

F

·
0 Posts
Is there a way for the average person to "flush" the tranny? I know in the Ford's you can setup sme hoses,etc. and accomplish this.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
TheBac said:
Tony, is that capacity for the regular pan or deep one?
That is the regular one as far as I know.

Tony

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
fordt said:
Is there a way for the average person to "flush" the tranny? I know in the Ford's you can setup sme hoses,etc. and accomplish this.
There is the "Hoot" method from another website, but I would rather just drop the pan and refill myself.

Tony

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Why not just drain, refill with the new fluid, run a few miles, drain again, install fluid & filter. Done.

You need to do 2 changes, but it might be the most simple way. You lose 8-10 quarts of new fluid, but what's that? $40 bucks?

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I somewhat agree with ya Duke, but why not just leave in the fluid that you just changed for say 10K or more that way you get your moneys worth so to say?

Thats why I am just going to drain the fluid and fill with fresh, drive for a year and change again. Change every year or two and just keep doing that until the tranny cannot handle the power I will be throwing at it in the near future with my soon coming EFI Live.

Tony

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
I somewhat agree with ya Duke, but why not just leave in the fluid that you just changed for say 10K or more that way you get your moneys worth so to say?

Thats why I am just going to drain the fluid and fill with fresh, drive for a year and change again. Change every year or two and just keep doing that until the tranny cannot handle the power I will be throwing at it in the near future with my soon coming EFI Live.

Tony
OH yeah! I agree. :Thumbup:

I just thought you'd want to get it all changed right away. That's what I did. Your idea is more economical.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Thanks Duke, I have actually decided to now go a differant route. With the way the year is going at work, I can see long nights and good paychecks on the horrizon. I am going to change the fluid with Mercron V and let it run through that until I take it to Eric @ Merchant next summer. I am going to have him install a trans capable of 650HP and stop there as I want my truck to be streetable and have some towing manners too. Makes no sense to invest the Amsoil in a trans that is only going to be the truck for just another year. I will keep up the maintenance on the trans, but I dont waste the fluid.

Tony

·
15 Posts
Why do you want to only replace part of the tranny fluid. I just converted mine to Transynd (Allison approved synthetic) and according to Alldata it takes 12.7 qts. for a comlete fluid replacement. 7.4 qts is a standard drop the pan changeover, and leaves about 1/2 the old fluid in the converter & system. I used a Wynn's flush machine to cycle the old fluid out with the new fluid pushing it thru and replacing it. It takes about 30 minutes and replaces about 95% of the old fluid. Very easy & done deal.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Flushing an Ally

Why do you want to only replace part of the tranny fluid. I just converted mine to Transynd (Allison approved synthetic) and according to Alldata it takes 12.7 qts. for a comlete fluid replacement. 7.4 qts is a standard drop the pan changeover, and leaves about 1/2 the old fluid in the converter & system. I used a Wynn's flush machine to cycle the old fluid out with the new fluid pushing it thru and replacing it. It takes about 30 minutes and replaces about 95% of the old fluid. Very easy & done deal.
I keep reading on a few sites that we shouldn't flush the Allison. Anyone else seeing this theory? Anyone have a good reason not to do it?

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
Gm service info says not to use a machine on the allisons.I think it can mess the inside filter up, I have heard of some that will start the with the machine to drain it and get some new in then stop and drop the pan and change the inside filter and the spin on and fill in by hand without the machine.

·
12 Posts
worked as a transmission rebuilder.unless the convert has taken a dump,or alot of metal in the pan you shouldn't have to flush it.is the fluid still red?smell burnt?i always drain and remove the pan to change the filter.the drain plug makes it easier than other transmission where you have to drop one corner of the pan to drain it.nothing like get a bath in fluid!i only rebuild my own now thanks to companys like jasper its not profitable anymore.

·
2,710 Posts
You could just simply crack loose your cooler lines drop the suction side in a full pal of ATF and drop the return line in an empty pal.
Let it flow threw for a while till both colors match reconnect lines run again then top off...

Now you change the filter before this or right after this procedure...

Or

Spend 150 go to a shop where they'll run a flush then change the trans filter...

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
This is anothe reason why I love manual transmissions.

Drain it out run a bottle or 2 of fresh oil threw it. Plug it up and refill.

Do it all again next spring.

Mike

·
12 Posts
You could just simply crack loose your cooler lines drop the suction side in a full pal of ATF and drop the return line in an empty pal.
Let it flow threw for a while till both colors match reconnect lines run again then top off...

Now you change the filter before this or right after this procedure...

Or

Spend 150 go to a shop where they'll run a flush then change the trans filter...

Mike
your cooling lines have pressure going out to the trans cooler which has pressure returning to trans there is no suction the front pump picks up fluid from the pan via valve body

·
2,710 Posts
Yea well I didn't much know how it worked.

I just heard about it.

Me I either drop the pan n swap the filter n refill.

Or

I have the trans T-teched then run it home n change the filter.

I have had the dipstick deal done where it sucks come out pumps some in while the truck is running it was cool got to watch the fluid color slowly change.

Some guys tho don't run the full flush they'll just suck the pan dry drop it swap filters n refill.

or

They'll suck it dry refill n drive on.

Tho its been my expirince that servicing an auto trans just makes it fail.

I seen them go more miles never having the fluid n filters changed then one that was serviced routinely.

Which is Very confusing to me.

Mike

·
2,710 Posts
HOOT ? Do tell ...

MIke

1 - 20 of 24 Posts