The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running synthetic in their auto tranny? looking to pick up any edge I can in mileage and it's almost time for a tranny service

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Well I can't really make a comment really... All NV4500 trans require Castrol SynTorque... So I'm already running...

As for mileage speed is the biggest factor... But a good rule of thumb stay below 600*F and 5 PSI worth of boost and you'll get 20+ MPG's...

45 MPH - 28.6 MPG - 1,308 RPM's - 27.7 Horsepower - 500*F Pyro - 1-2 PSI Boost

65 MPH - 14.8 MPG - 1,880 RPM's - 74.6 Horsepower - 700*F Pyro - 8 PSI Boost

Slowing down will net you better results that spending big money on fluids... :poke:

·
454 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Well I can't really make a comment really... All NV4500 trans require Castrol SynTorque... So I'm already running...

As for mileage speed is the biggest factor... But a good rule of thumb stay below 600*F and 5 PSI worth of boost and you'll get 20+ MPG's...

45 MPH - 28.6 MPG - 1,308 RPM's - 27.7 Horsepower - 500*F Pyro - 1-2 PSI Boost

65 MPH - 14.8 MPG - 1,880 RPM's - 74.6 Horsepower - 700*F Pyro - 8 PSI Boost

Slowing down will net you better results that spending big money on fluids... :poke:

:iagree I have a 2001 with an automatic and if you keep your RPM's down around 1400 to 1600 you get awsome mileage on the highway. I got 3.54 gears in my truckand at that RPM i am doing 55 MPH. some of us don't like to do that spped cause they think its slow, but it does help out with the milage. If I start going past 1800 the trucks getting more in the power band so you lose on milage. My tranny has the ATF+4 tranny fluid in it from the dealer when I had it flushed. No mileage difference at all, just helps keep everything lubricated better. Hope that helps you out.

·
348 Posts
Lots of people use the Amsoil trans fluid. many dealers on this site. does it really help? I really can not say since I change my fluid and filter yearly. fresh fluid is always better than old. some people have deeper pockets than others.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
01quadcab said:
anyone running synthetic in their auto tranny? looking to pick up any edge I can in mileage and it's almost time for a tranny service
Ya I would considering you have a aftermarket T/ C. I got Amsoil in everything.

The stock T/C don't seem to like synthetic, I've had issues with them slipping with synthetic and draining the synthetic. To replace w/ dyno oil to have the problem solved.

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, it's getting time for me to service mine and there isn't much difference between atf4 and amsoil so I thought I would find out how it worked, and if there was any issues. I just bought some gear oil from amsoil to service the diffs as they have not been done since the truck has been in the family. Philly what fluid are you runnin?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Amsoil everything. I've had nothing but good luck with Amsoil. I'm not a dealer or nothing, nor can I even recommend a dealer to you. I just have had luck with it for many years.

EDIT:
Amsoil in my 98
Engine: 15w40 Full syn,
Transmission: Uni ATF (I used this also as my first fluid as well when I first put the rebuild in too)
Dif: 75w90 extreme.(no additives either)

Amsoil in my 02
15w40 full syn, 5w30 tranny fluid(6speed), Uni ATF in the transfer case and 75w90 in both axles (no additives either)

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. I did the front and rear last night so it's all fresh and used the sever gear. next its the tranny. then when I am need motor oil I will do it too and see how it works for me

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that or just flush the system while idling till I see a change in color. helps get it out of converter and cooler. I always buy extra fluid in case of oops. what about doing the bands I remember you talking about that a while back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts