The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i went to go move my truck tonight to let my granpa in the garage. when i went to go put it in reverse my odometer read "range shift inhibited" i have no clue what that means but i ened up pushing it out of the way. when i put it into drive it shifts real hard and makes a loud noise. any help??

·
7 Posts
I have the same problem. I have a 2005 2500 crew cab. 122k miles I was driving on freeway my engine light came on and I noticed truck wasn't shifting. I got to my buddys house and when I put it in reverse it said "range shift inhibited". When I got back from hockey game it shifted fine engine light was still on. on the drive home it wouldn't shift gears. I checked tranny fluid all fine. It shifted real hard when I put it in drive and and then wouldn't shift out of 2nd (i think) car wouldn't go over 30 at 1900 rpm and indicator lights don't show what gear I'm in.

HELP

Will

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told it was an electrical conection that was loose or something in the valve body. i just went ahead and droped a suncoast stage 5 tranny in it. because the guys were charging too much and it was cheaper for me to go ahead a build my tranny

·
182 Posts
I know you got yours fixed 516, but whoone... get the codes read. Auto zone should be able to read them, post them up and we can help you better.

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea sorry but i gotta say if you got the money it is worth it to have a buil tranny. good luck

·
232 Posts
My 04.5 was doing the same thing,codes came up and i changed 2 solenoids that showed on scanner.Well,i went out a week later in it and had got in it a little from a stop.The dang thing did it again,came up one of the solenoids i had changed.I went to napa and put some tranny repair stuff they have,it is a two part mix with sum synthetic stuff.I noticed my tranny is shifting smoother and has not limped since,thank goodness.

·
7 Posts
Well, Here is the update, I took it in and had the codes pulled. It came up with Seven (7) codes one was a low voltage code one was the remote sensor and one was the transmission computer. I thought I was screwed... I had the remote sensor replaced. Water had gotten into it and was oozing out of it after the mechanic had it in his warm non snowed in garage for a day. After the switch was replaced five of the codes went away. It turned out the power supply to the transmission computer had come out of the loom and was rubbing on the inner fender and chaffed the wire so only 1 or 2 strands were all that was sending power to the computer. That was the low voltage code, and 4 hours of chasing electrical wires. The other code was fixed when the proper voltage went to the computer after the wired was repaired.

I was very relieved. I didn't want to rebuild the tranny.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i had that same code. the low voltage one. i thought it was my sub i have in my truck. it still shows up. which fender well should i look at

·
232 Posts
Man,mine has done the stupid limp 2 more times.Both times it showed up as solenoid e and malfunctioned transmission computer so i pulled off the road both times and checked and cleared it with my scanner.It will do okay normal driving but when i push it hard every now and then it will pop shift and throw the same code even though i have already changed that solenoid.I only have 108,000 miles on it,seems like the allison would last longer.

·
7 Posts
yea i had that same code. the low voltage one. i thought it was my sub i have in my truck. it still shows up. which fender well should i look at

Mine was on the drivers side coming out of the fuse box. It went down and forward to the transmission computer. I haven't had any problems since . My mechanic had his code reader on it while he chased it down it was fluctuating from 1 volt to 10 volts

·
7 Posts
Man,mine has done the stupid limp 2 more times.Both times it showed up as solenoid e and malfunctioned transmission computer so i pulled off the road both times and checked and cleared it with my scanner.It will do okay normal driving but when i push it hard every now and then it will pop shift and throw the same code even though i have already changed that solenoid.I only have 108,000 miles on it,seems like the allison would last longer.
When mine acted up I had a couple people tell me it could be the ignition switch or the remote sensor. It turned out it was the remote sensor. Maybe you need both.

·
182 Posts
\

Are you running a tuner?

·
232 Posts
Well,mine is back to throwing the cel constantly now saying solenoid g and tranny computer.It is not going in to limp mode,it just keeps throwing the cel on even after i clear it.I changed that solenoid along with f a while back,whats up with it now.

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine started acting up again. i think the truck is flareing from 1st to third. if im corect limp mode would be when the tranny wnt go past 3rd. it goes through the gears it just seems under f/t it still feels like it goes to neutral for a second and then will start to move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts