The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diesel Addict
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2001 silverado 2500hd ex/lb with a 6in lift 37inch mud grapplers. He also has a stock trans with 180k on it n a efi live tune thats suppose to put 425hp to the rear wheels. Yesterday he was in stop an go traffic for about an hour n realized his trans temp got to 250 degrees. When he went to accelerate and merge onto the highway the tranny slipped really bad. the trans got near 300 degrees :gaah. He let it cool for an hour and it drove home. Today he has drove it n its been fine but i know its about to go. Why would the tranny get so hot it even in traffic it just doesn't seem right?
:confused:

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Was he beating on the truck during the drive (before the traffic)? Has this happened at all before?

Just trying to get a little more info on the event that happened. I am no trans genius though it may help others figure out the problem :thumbsup

Reactions: turfin8705

·
Diesel Addict
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said he was driving normal and in stop n go traffic for about an hour n it got to 250 degrees when he was finally able to get going it slipped its *** off and banged gears and the temp steadly went up till it pegged 300....He drove the truck all around today n the trans didnt get hot n he layed into and it didnt slip. But i smelt the trans fluid and it smells burnt plus it looks like motor oil...:bawl. So yeah its pretty much done. Hes getting ready to pull it and have it built with suncoast clutches, a 3 disk converter, and shift kit but i just dont know y it got to 250 just idling. Mine has never got more than 200 in traffic....

·
3,939 Posts
Im probably talking out my butt, but IMO, it could have been a combination of tall tires, stopngo traffic, not getting airflow thru the stack, the torque converter always unlocked, etc.

If anyone could tell you what happened, itd be Mike.

I know of a man named George in Baltimore that is a big-time Allison guru, like Mike. I'll see if I can get his info for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts