The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason the tranny wont shift right when i'm cruseing at 30-40mph and light on the pedal. the tranny try's to shift but it just pops in and out of 3rd gear and wont shift the whole way untill i'm hard on the pedal. this also happend when i was on the highway 50-60 going to overdrive. Please any help would be great. i was thinking that a shift sillinod was going out but now i'm thing it might be something really bad. Info would be great.:damnit

·
3,514 Posts
5spd, 6spd or auto?
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auto with 160,000 miles on it.

·
3,514 Posts
30-40 sounds like issues with your torque converter trying to lock up. Shifting from 3rd to O/D should occur a bit higher than that, and the 2-3 shift should be lower. Honestly it could be lots of things. If it were my truck the things I would do would be to A)Check for trouble codes, B) Change the trans fluid and filters, C) tighten the Bands when you're in there too. With 160k on there, if you have any other power adders or tow a lot it could very well be that its starting to wear out. If that stuff doesn't help, it may be the shift solenoid.

Where do you wheel your Jeep at? I'm in the middle of building a toy crawler right now. I wanted to do a jeep, but they are just a bit more pricey.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll start with that and see what happens. If it was a code then y wouldn't the check engine light be on?

i'm going to moab this easter os i can do BFE and things like that. what type of jeep are you building?

·
3,514 Posts
I'm actually building a toyota pick-up. Dual Cases, 5.29's, 37's, Custom flatbed and cage, and I think I'll eventually throw in a chevy 4.3L vortec. I've just always liked jeeps so I might sell this thing when I'm done with it, and start hunting for a jeep. Although, the more I do to this truck, the more I like toyotas, they are pretty cheap to build. Most guys just slap stuff on them though and they don't look that good, just beat on and covered up with a rattle can.

AS for the trouble codes, they don't always throw a Check Engine Light. You have an 01 so you can check in the odometer by cycling the key on and off, about 3 or 4 times leaving it in the on position on the last cycle. However this doesn't always show all the codes either.
Sean

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't worry about the bands; you're not experiencing slippage, so they're holding & working just fine & don't need adjustment.

It's either hunting between 3rd & 4th or locking / unlocking the TC, both of which are electronic. The problem's likely being caused by a "fuzzy" APPS signal, which you may be able to get around fairly simply - we've got a link to a free fix/workaround pdf on our website, here:

https://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/120505/4th hunt 46 47 RE.pdf

That should take care of it since this recently started, but in some severe cases more is needed. Try that before you do anything else though.

·
232 Posts
eric my truck hunts for 3rd not 4th should i try this same procedure to? if i take off floored it shifts fine or if i verly touch the throttle thru the gears its fine but if im driving normal or medium throttle is seems to search for 3rd when shifting from 2nd.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
masonjo said:
eric my truck hunts for 3rd not 4th should i try this same procedure to? if i take off floored it shifts fine or if i verly touch the throttle thru the gears its fine but if im driving normal or medium throttle is seems to search for 3rd when shifting from 2nd.

ya most of the time it's 3rd that has the problem. Is there anything esle that i should try first? and if i do this and it dosen't fix the problem with it hurt me in any way?

·
232 Posts
mine is fixed!!! i was the throttl valve cable was miss adjusted.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eric help me out alot. he was dead on the noise. Thanks. All i need now is to lower my tranny temps cause my fluid smells burnt. any help on that would be great a side from a tranny pain.

·
3,514 Posts
If you do want to try a pan, I have a Mag-hytec Deep pan and the hardware to install it kickin around that is in like new condition and I will sell it to you for a good price. It came on my new trans and I already had a double deep and still had the stock pan. So I put the double deep on the trans sent the core back with the stock pan, and put the deep pan on the shelf. Let me know if you're interested.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya that would be a start. let me know how much and if you have a pic that would be great.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
sstockton said:
If you do want to try a pan, I have a Mag-hytec Deep pan and the hardware to install it kickin around that is in like new condition and I will sell it to you for a good price. It came on my new trans and I already had a double deep and still had the stock pan. So I put the double deep on the trans sent the core back with the stock pan, and put the deep pan on the shelf. Let me know if you're interested.
Sean

I didn't even know you were trying to sell that Sean. If he doesn't buy it, let me know. I probably could find a buyer here if the price far enough away from new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts