The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
it depends on the abuse it had before and drive it mine could not handle it in 5th gear ppe has a great tranny i run a stage 5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a superchips on it since it left the dealer in 05. I tow a big 5th wheel...other than that I drive the hell out of it. It has 72,000 on it now.
I have had no issues to date. Installed the PPE last Thrusday running the 180hp i think level 4.

·
38 Posts
i would say that your running on borrowed time with stock transmission, stock tranny takes about 80-90hp extra safely but there are many that have limped the stock trans with that much or less. are you planning on any other upgrades or do you have other upgrades? what year is your truck? look at suncoast stage III or IV, or even ats stage II. PPE is good also, much like the suncoast tranny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not plan on any other upgrades....the truck is a 05 lly. Of course I always drop to a towing mode. I have had no issues.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
I think its hard to say, and really depends on the truck and taking the time to know how your truck has been treated if you were not the first owner. I have been running a 110 hp tune and i can hammer it through every gear without it limping. But i think a 180 hp tune is definately way over the mark for what a stocker can handle.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
180 HP tune on a stock tranny will soon show it's ugly face. It is a matter of time before issues will arise. This has been proven many times.

·
Registered
310 Posts
well 180 would not be bad for c1 through c3 but it will limp c5 and if your towing with it then i would set it down a coulpe levels or plan on upgrading your tranny

·
116 Posts
fwdcummins said:
well 180 would not be bad for c1 through c3 but it will limp c5 and if your towing with it then i would set it down a coulpe levels or plan on upgrading your tranny
I think you have that backwards. C5 never goes bad.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Agreed!

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
TheBac said:
Yeah, agreed! Isnt it C1 and C3 that fry first?
Agreed. Think about it what gears are you hammering down on more?

·
38 Posts
i thought it was c2 and c4 that went bad first, the shift from forth to fifth and hammering on it in fifth gear

1st gear c1 and c5
2nd gear c1 and c4
3rd gear c1 and c3
4th gear c1 and c2
5th gear c2 and c3

6th gear c2 and c4

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
C2's and C3's were the first to go in my truck.....hmmmm I wonder why? :roflmao:

·
3,939 Posts
fwdcummins said:
well ever time i would limp it. it was in 5th every time . i limped it at least 15 times

Thats the definition of a limp. Shifting into 5th, the trans will say "no mas".

Notice which clutches are applied for 5th from PA's post?? C2 and C3

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.