The Diesel Garage banner

tranny temp gauge

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  01quadcab 
#1 ·
have 01 auto want to install temp gauge on tranny is there a port on tranny or do i have to tap to insall gauge

#2 ·
well, you can install this in a test port on the trans but it's not a very good place from what I have heard. I ordered http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG2.asp it fit perfectly too. It will help you find out if you have a cooling problem too..

#3 ·
Dieselmanor is good people! Anyone else? I have installed a few in that test port, is there a problem with that? anyone have a pic of the test port?

#4 ·
from what I have been told about the test port in the trans it's not really going to be showing major heat that could be building up because your taking the reading after the cooler etc. where the other line is coming out of the converter so you know if your converter is slipping or locking up or not. But having a guage either way is better than nothing at all.. I believe the problem with the port me by the time you notice a temp increase it could be after the fact

#6 ·
i have mine there...but i guess it gives you post cooler readings...

#7 ·
Here is where I had mine, it is in the hot line out of the trans to the heat exchanger. It is the line that goes into the back side of the heat exchanger, I got all the stuff to do it from auto parts stores, and a place called Evco. All you need is a T-fitting 1/2x1/2x1/8 or 1/4 pipe. I just cut out enough of the line to fit in the fitting, and it bolted right back up. and I never had any problems with it.

Attachments

#8 ·
I bought the cooler line for a '94-'95 Ram w/ 47RH trans. Has a port for a sender already. It already came with the short rubber hose, too. Good, thing. My old one wasn't gonna last long. Just needed to remove the check ball in the end. The 47RE already has one elsewhere.

#9 ·
the one from diesel manor has not check ball and no rubber line. The check ball on these is in the heat exchanger. I have been all over my truck dealing with trans issues for last 10 months. only rubber lines are to the trans cooler everything else on them is hard line.

#11 ·
I'm with 01quadcab, I've been getting pretty familiar with my trans this year. With heat issues, Ruptured cooler line, installing the new trans, and over coming increased line pressure throwing it into limp mode. I still haven't gone into it yet for the ruptured line/heat issue, but thats coming next week.
Sean

#12 ·
Ya see mine at wot will not shift out of 2nd till you back off the pedal. Or if you are climbing a hill and it shift out of OD it will some times shifts to 2nd and it will redline if you arnt quick enough to get off of it. So I was told to put in a shift kit, up graded servo cover, band apply strut, governor silnoid and pressure transducer. What do you guys think?

#13 ·
I was having heat issues after I put in the new trans. I lost all bolts out of the flexplate back in feb got her rebuilt while I was changing converter and flexplate now it's got a billet inputshaft and big pan and 3disc converter. The heat issue turned out to be a plugged trans cooler along with the heat exchanger giving me problems so the exchanger is bypassed and a bigger cooler is on. haven't seen 200 out of the hotline since I did this... the converter lockup is nice now you know it's in or out

#14 ·
01- do you remember what size the AN fittings you used to bypass the exchanger were? I could just pull my line and figure it out that way, but I figured if you know it, that would save me a step and I could just order it. And what size line did you end up using?
Sean

#17 ·
Yeah I do remember that. When I was looking at it installing my tranny it seemed like it shouldn't be a problem to ditch. If you're going to run twins with a 5inch down pipe you need to relocate it at very least, so if it works to ditch it, that will just make things a little easier.
Sean

#19 ·
I remember it too. You told me to do it when I was posting about heat issues so I did it and it worked. I will ask my dad what number an fitting he used to adapt it to 1/2" barbed line end. Or if your going to replace the trans line get a custom one made and not have to go around the motor that way... also would make it easier to pull tranny if needed to at a later date

had to reformat the computer between being out of town so now I am back.

#23 ·
:secret: sorry forgot about it will find out in the morning. I am actually thinking about making my own line that runs from the hot side directly to the trans cooler so as not having to add any rubber line than what is needed for the cooler line.

#24 ·
That would be cool. I was going to see if I could get some high temp lines made up at the local hydraulic shop so I know that they can take the heat and pressure. That is if they have the right fittings.
Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.