The Diesel Garage banner

trans code and soft shift any input apprec.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  sidssm 
#1 ·
Hello, My wifes truck has had the od light flash a couple of times now. Code is p0720 and now the truck shifts alot softer than normal. (99 f250 7.3 auto 4x4 with transgo tugger 2 kit and dp tunes.) I would appreciate any input. I was thinking about replacing the output shaft sensor on the trans tailshaft, would this be a good place to start. Also when the od light flashes if you put the truck from drive to neutral the truck will rev up to 1200-1300 rpms only if the od light is flashing. Today I just moved the truck from one parking spot to another and the od light started flashing and the truck died? Thanks Seth

#3 ·
Thanks for reply. Do you know what pins ar for oss at the pcm? Would 720 cause the soft shift? Thanks Seth

#4 ·
1.Yes, but after seeing some of the charts & diagrams printed back-wards, other possible typos, errors, etc. from whatever cause--it's best you obtain that type of specific information. Also it may still be protected proprietary intellectual property. That has to be respected anytime the potential of proprietary rights may exist.

2. Yes, it can cause odd shifts. :thumbsup It sets the code and flashes the light to alert the driver. The operators book will tell you More or Less the light means go in for service now. Also known as: Limp home mode. It's suppose to be a 1 time chance to allow you to get off the road instead of shutting down and needing a tow truck. Or causing a road hazard, an accident in traffic etc. Continuing to drive in a limp mode daily causes damage. No standard safe mileage or time period exists to my knowledge. Heads up, use caution.

#5 ·
Racer X thank you for the replies, btw you will be the person that gets my trans business from now on (I am not implying that I have alot of trans business but you will get the small amount I have, well hopefully for me a small amount lol).
I have another truck that I swapped the oss out with and same problem and code. I thought that would be a good place to start. After swapping the sensor I had my scanner in datastream mode and seen that my vehicle voltage was 11.8 volts...for the past week when I started the truck the starter would drag so I thought it was time for a new starter considering the batteries and alt. are new. I am thinking that the low voltage may have had something to do with the trans issues what do you think? Now that I have put another new alt. on it the od light hasnt came on and it seems to be back to shifting normal. Have you heard of low voltage causing odd shifts?
On another note the voltage with the new alt. is only 12.9-13.5 varying with rpm. Does this seem low to you or is this adequate? I purchased the alt. from autozone, it is there new ones.
Thanks Seth

#6 ·
Low voltage will cause many odd things. Starter relays stick and burn out both relay & starter due to Low Voltage. 12.9-13.5 varying with rpm is normal.
A full load test: Turn on all accessories, headlights, & loads etc at idle speed. Measure Battery Voltage. Generally it should be 12.5 V minimum @ idle under full electrical load. Voltage should increase as engine r.p.m. is increased or maintain 12.5V minimum with all loads on. Thanks for the compliment. :)

The first image below is all that is appropriate to display of a proprietary notice. It is part of a proprietary document. It's a privilege to have access to these materials & documents.

Off topic:
It's always been an honor to be associated with achievers that are major league class . We were all taught to achieve highly by the best. We didn't realize that until later. Or that the spring air had major league heat in it. It was thrown by all 3. :D If it came too close, sometimes a splintered bat went flying just left or right of the mound. LOL A wink was exchanged followed by curve balls and sliders only. ;) A teammates agreement that this was batting practice, and we are going to run out of bats. LOL

Jeff, x teammate & major league pitcher.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/musseje01.shtml

Mark, x teammate & major league pitcher. "The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time" :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/leitema01.shtml

Al, x teammate & major league pitcher. Reporter for Fox TV.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/leiteal01.shtml

#7 ·
HAHAH Yea Racer X trans are the best!!!!!! He built me one over 1year ago i am not easy on my stuff! This thing just does every thing right!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thank you Bill!!

Matt

#8 ·
X's teammates for life. They never forget fellow teammates. ;) Or team rules and conduct. There is another to honor. Like Neil Armstrong he doesn't appear in public often, but his name is everywhere. :mafia1:

Kurt, too fast for the Orioles farm team, the INTERNET & clear still photos!

Privacy request honored. Baseball reference .com page removed. Best 2 photos permitted for a limited time.

:mafia1: The heat is on!

Fire!!!

:nunu: Lite em up!

#10 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the input, turned out the alt. was the problem. Since I installed the new alt. no problem. Sorry to take so long to post the fix. Seth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.