The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using old automatic transmission fluid as fuel? Would it lubricate the injectors properly? I've heard of this being done but have been skeptical about trying it. :shrug:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used it to fill filters at the time of service on equipment. Don't know about using it strictly for fuel though. Oh and I use new trans fluid not used.:2cents

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Trans fluid has friction modifiers in it that will damage fuel system components even if used for only filling the filters! Do not do it, GM did it in the 80's but that was before friction modifiers were added to ATF.

All manufacturers warn against this practice!

Tony

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding, if I am right of course; is that a friction modifier helps things to "slip". Why would this cause damage to the system? I am new to diesels so please excuse my ignorance. :shrug:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I have understood that the friction modifiers were in place to help keep the clutches and bands from slipping and make a trans more efficient. B&M Trick Shift fluid was one of the first to utilize FM's. That is why alot of racers used their fluid, it shifted more firmly.

I could be wrong as I am going off second hand info passed to me by my father, but when he ( a diesel mechanic of 33yrs) and a GM tech at the local dealer both say NO WAY! I tend to listen.

Just tossin my 0.02, hope it helps,
Tony

·
1,836 Posts
The original ATF is still sold some places as is NON detergent engine oil.
We used to use the ATF at a qt per 50 gallon and use the oil in lawn mowers.
I have NOT seen any damage from the old ATF but the stuff with letters added is only 1/2 oil and 1/2 other 'stuff' and not designed to burn, try setting a little bit on fire. And see what is left!
I have seen the junk in a mower on NON detergent so now it is the same as everything else and I don't need a new one every 4-5 years.

The other thing that comes to mind is the red dye in the ATF, under the current tax rules I do not want ANY red dye in the tank.

keydl

·
1,836 Posts
I got checked at a reststop outside of Ok City. Another time at the Springfield, Co courthouse, both on the same trip.

keydl

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been running filtered used ATF in my 90 7.3 with no problems for a year 80% atf-20% no.2 in rear tank/start and shut down on no.2 in front tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts