The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to hook up the pyro & tranny guage yesterday & there isnt a port for the trans guage that i can find.do i need some sort of manifold to tie into the trans lines?the pyro install went good,used the auto meter c2 guages.had these sitting around for a few months cause i was dreading drilling & tapping the manifold but it was a peice of cake wish i had done it sooner.if anyone has a pic of the trans port or the manifold set up please post.

thanks

·
41 Posts
pitjeep the pressure port is on the drivers side of the trans right above the pan. You should of got a sending unit with the gauge put it in the port.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You want the TFT sensor in the COOLER OUT line leading from the trans to the ATF cooler for the most accurate readings of trans operating temps.

You can also get a kit to install a port in the pan and screw it in the get sump temp, but that is generally somewhat cooler than actual operating temp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see a place on drivers side just in front of shifter linkage. it has a taperd looking (plug?)in it with some white stuff in the center.i thought i should be looking for a threaded hole for the sensor or is it where i described above .if so how do you get the tapred looking thinggy out.when i ran the tranny # at the dealer they said it was a rebuilt trans.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
There is NO PLACE on a stock or re-built transmission for you to install a ATF temp sender.

You MUST make a place, either in the outlet line - with a new fitting, or in the pan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are there fittings to put it in the outlet line, a t maybe? which one is the outlet line?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yes, you need some type of "T" to make this work.

Many of TDG's supporting vendors offer these parts, and can give you specific installation advice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
While I know it's nowhere near optimum, many people (myself included) use the pressure port which is just above and ahead of the linkage on the driver's side. I know it does not respond very quickly, like when building boost while stalling the torque converter, but it does show gradual changes (like climbing a long hill) just fine.

When I get some "spare" time, I plan to add a T fitting to the cooler line, and monitor both locations. When I do I'll post the results on this forum.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
6,337 Posts
Install your temp probe in the pressure port. IT is the place to install the probe.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found it just like your pic i was looking for something bigger thanks a million.

·
6,337 Posts
All E4OD's and 4R100's have that port, as do the 5R100 and 5R110

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could it be the one i talked about earlier with the tapered plug & white stuff in the middle?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CSIPSD said:
Install your temp probe in the pressure port. IT is the place to install the probe.
thanks again . a pic is worth a thousand words.

what temp range should i look for & when should i start to worry. i went for a 10 mile cruse at 55 , egt was just under 500,tranny was at 150 on a 88 degree slightly humid afternoon.

·
6,337 Posts
Pull over temp is about 230 for most... If your hitting 220 alot, you need to add a new and bigger cooler.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What he said, I think inevitable failure is a little bit over 300 by the source I looked at. Mine usually runs about 150, 180 if its really hot outside or I've been driving hard/pulling hills alot. 180 is about as high as I've gotten it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
John, you would be checking temp before cooling in the line vs a mix after cooling in the pan. Any reason you would prefer the line location?

Micheal, rather than a tee for temp, how accurate would a pressure reading be from a tee in the line vs dead head of the sender?
-
-
-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
towed the cj on a 16ft trailer through the pa mountains last weekend. tranny never went over 180 , went down to 170 when we hit the cooler mountain air.egt hit 1200 on some of the longer grades but as soon as it did i would back it off to around 1000.

·
6,337 Posts
pitjeep said:
towed the cj on a 16ft trailer through the pa mountains last weekend. tranny never went over 180 , went down to 170 when we hit the cooler mountain air.egt hit 1200 on some of the longer grades but as soon as it did i would back it off to around 1000.
Good deal! FYI, you can pull all day at 1200 and not hurt a thing... really, I do every day.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Good deal Pit Jeep.
I'm going to pm my ? to M. and J. I guess. In the line is op temp of the converter, in the pan near the solenoid is both a mix of cooler and op temp. Just differant clutches dropping spent oil as there are 6 clutches besides the converter.
You sure could monitor both, but the line temp will change when TCC applies, and vary more with throttle. Plus you can't change it, unless you change cooling capacity. May as well monitor temp after cooler in my op.
-
-
-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some say never leave egt at 1200 some say you can run there all day.i,m confused:shrug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts